Optimize
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Everything you need to know about setting up Optimize including creating your account and container, linking to Google Analytics and how to tag your site.
Guide Me
star_border

Optimize Page Hiding Snippet - Unhide delay issue in Firefox

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

when using the Google Optimize page hiding snippet I noticed that Firefox in incognito mode takes the full timeout for the page to show. This makes for a very bad customer experience since those visitors will see a blank, white page for 4 seconds.

The reason for this behavior is that Firefox in incognito mode blocks the download of analytics.js entirely so optimize and GA will never load and thus not trigger the unhiding untill the timeout value is reached.

I reduced the timeout for now but I wondered if anyone has come up with a better solution for this yet?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No solution, but thanks for confirming I'm not the only one with this problem. I was getting crazy. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

we've similar issues, in Chrome (not in incognito and neither ad blocker installed!)

it always times out...

did you manage to identify what's causing this and resolve?

Thanks in advance for sharing any tips!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This particular issue seems to be related to Firefox only... probably you have a different problem?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What I have found works as a hack is to disable the page hiding snippet in Firefox Private Browsing mode. Assuming that visitors to your website using Firefox Private Browsing mode represent a small percentage of your total visitors, this can be a feasible, if non ideal option.

var db = indexedDB.open("test");
// Check if Firefox Private Browsing NOT enabled
db.onsuccess = function() {
    // Page hiding snippet doesn't work properly
    // in FF PB mode
    ...your page hiding snippet goes here
};

source: https://stackoverflow.com/a/41322183/7886956