Optimize
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Everything you need to know about setting up Optimize including creating your account and container, linking to Google Analytics and how to tag your site.
Guide Me
star_border

How to stop Website Data from being collected?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am fairly certain this is an easy fix that I just don't know the correct terms to search for. Here is the situation: When I goto Settings > Safari > Advanced > Website Data on my iphone 6, it shows my website (if I visit it, even in private browsing) as having data stored.

I believe there is something in Analytics that I set to track something, collect data/cookies/etc. but for the life of me, I cannot find it! I use WordPress, Karma theme, Yoast SEO, Monster Insights (turned off Universal Tracking, and that has not been enabled in analytics either).

Is this something in Analytics that I can turn off? I don't really need any advanced tracking--just sessions and bounce rate, and I've had some clients complain about my site tracking things (I do private practice psychotherapy, so some folks deal with anxiety, and seeing that anything is stored scares them off of my site).

Thanks for your help y'all,

Jon

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Jonathan A :-)
If you do not have a google analytics property created with tracking for that property installed on your website to track website visitors, then there is nothing for google analytics to track.
Is there maybe another copy of the tracking code installed on your site via theme settings or similar, seperate to the Monster Insights plugin?

Are you able to possibly provide a link to the site, it will allow one of us to have a look via browser to see if there is maybe another copy of code.. or if you have maybe enabled the demographics and interest reporting or similar.

One other thing to bare in mind too.is some themes and plugins contain their own tracking to track theme or plugin users data.. however that should not be tracking your site visitors from the front end of the site

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Re: How to stop Website Data from being collected?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I do have analytics set up for that property. I can see my stats (bounce rate, sessions, browser, device type etc.), but it didn't used to show up as Website Data. I remember doing something that seemed related to this and am trying to find places that I may have changed some months back.

The link, https://gatehealing.com

Thank you for helping!

Jon

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jonathan A
December 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
There are two copies of tracking code installed on your site.. 
One in the header and one in the footer of the site for property UA-10352992-3
Does your theme have any admin options for adding scripts to the head or footer of site?

I'm not sure what you mean by it - but it didnt show up as Website Data
All Website Data is the name of the default reporting View created by Google Analytics when you create the Account and Property.

Are you maybe referring to the demographics and interest reporting?
These can be enabled in two ways, so you may want to check the help docs and 
on how. and disable these options if not required
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2819948?hl=en

To stop the GA tracking altogether, you need to remove the tracking code from your site..
And then no more data will be reported for your ppl visiting your website.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

RE: Website Data: That's referring to my iPhone 6 Settings > Safari > Advanced > Website Data where it will list my site as having x-Kb of data.

Re: options for adding script to head or footer: I know I can add Custom Scripts Head, and Custom Scripts Body, and Custom CSS. There is also a place to specifically put Google Tracking code in the theme. I am wondering if I have duplicated if there is something in header and footer.

I'll check the link you listed--I think I went through those, but it sure doesn't hurt to go in again and look. I defintly don't want to completely get rid of analytics . .. just whatever is causing browsers to store data (as evidenced on iphone safari advanced settings . . . I know it used to not list my site in that area, but now it does, and that's when folks started asking me about it.

J

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I think I got it. In Monster Insights, which uses data from GA, I had disabled Universal Tracking, but hadn't flushed my WordPress Cache and CDN cache. ONce I did that, it has stopped showing up.

THanks for your help!! I'll get back on if it starts back up after my caches get back up again,

JOn

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

You likely also have data there from wordpress as well, as it uses cookies when you log in and out of the admin area of your website. 

Ppl can opt out of GA tracking, bare in mind though, if site visitors use that then you wont track any info about them:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/181881?hl=en

Also this info here re apple:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4942035?start=0&tstart=0