Optimize
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Everything you need to know about setting up Optimize including creating your account and container, linking to Google Analytics and how to tag your site.
Guide Me
star_border

Google Optimize doesn't see the snippet on my website

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to install Google Optimize on my website and for some weird reason when I try to preview a variant an alert pops up saying:

The Google Optimize snippet for the container with ID GTM-XXXXXXX is not correctly installed on this page. To preview variants for this experiment, make sure the Google Optimize snippet is installed on any pages you want to test.

The Chrome extension says:

This page does not have an Optimize snippet for this container. To preview this page and start an experiment, please check that your page has the snippet properly set up.

I've looked at the source, it's there, inside <head>. What am I doing wrong?

chrome_2017-05-02_13-24-21.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have the same issue Smiley Sad

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Instead of adding Google Optimize manually, I would suggest you adding via Google Tag Manager. Here is a complete guide i wrote after installing myself and tested few experiments. http://marketlytics.com/blog/install-google-optimize-via-google-tag-manager

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Check your browser extensions, such as AdBlock or Ublock Origin. They can block Google traffic.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I'd like to know too!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm having the same issue with a client's subdomain. It's working fine on the main site though. Snippets are the same, placement is the same, not sure what I/we are doing wrong. Does anyone have suggestions on how to troubleshoot this other than Chrome extension?

Google Optimize doesn&#39;t see the snippet on my website

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Steven!

Do you fire Optimize through GTM or is it directly in the source code? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm having the same problem, even if I added it with GTM following the instructions of markelytics

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Use the Google Tag Assistant plugin. If you load the page and the plugin sees the Optimize tracker, then should Google Optimize Editor too. Make sure your AdBlock is turned off too. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey all: I've believe I found the issue that I was having: Google Optimize can't be run on Google Analytics Roll-Up Properties (source), and because the main site was already attached to one Google Optimize environment, the subdomain wasn't connecting properly. My fix was creating a second but associated Google Optimize testing environment just for the subdomain, which is acceptable for my testing needs as the two sites look/feel quite different.