Optimize
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Everything you need to know about setting up Optimize including creating your account and container, linking to Google Analytics and how to tag your site.
Guide Me
star_border

Google Optimize and SEO impact

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows how running a test on a public indexed page with Google Optimize affects SEO.

Assume I do a split test for one and the same url, but where I show different content on that page to different types of visitor.

1. Which content gets indexed?

2. Any known negative impact on SEO?

I just remember hearing something about search engines not being fond of pages where content changes.

Thanks!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

If you're doing a redirect test, you should set noindex on the page that your test redirects to. If you're just changing elements on your page, there won't be a negative impact on SEO, and your original content will get indexed.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for your reply, Robert!

Is your answer based on your own experiences, or on official documentation from Google in this matter?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Anytime! It's based on my experience, and I believe this was reported in another thread on this forum. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Robert and thank you for your feedback! This means for a A/B variant test, Google do not index element changes of my B variant page? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Google may index elements from the B version, but that won't negatively impact the SEO - unless the B version is completely off topic, or using 'cloaking' mechanism to hide it's underlying content.