Optimize
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Everything you need to know about setting up Optimize including creating your account and container, linking to Google Analytics and how to tag your site.
Guide Me
star_border

Google Optimize / Editor Page - Site-wide option?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there - 

I am looking to test an element in the footer (specifically a CTA for the contact form).  This is site-wide, and I'm hoping to find a not-too-technical solution.

I've tried the wildcard (i.e. mysite.com/*) and that throws a 404 when I use the Chrome plugin.  

Thoughts?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Tyler

You should use any "representative" editor page, to implement your variant. Then go back in the targeting rules of the experiment details page and remove the default rule that targets just this one page, and add a rule to target anything that you like.

Simplest way would perhaps be to use a domain rule for your site. This will trigger your experiment on every page of your site, both for http and https.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Dimitris!   There was no step to "remove the default rule that targets just this one page" but everything else seemed to work ok.  I am running the experiment now.  My only concern is that three of us checked the site on multiple browsers, phones, etc and none of us saw Variation #1. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tyler S
May 2017

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Tyler

Have you noticed the "Preview" icon next to each variant?

You should use that even before starting the experiment (you still can use it after) to make sure that everything works.

It provides a URL that you may use to visit and preview the variant from different browsers and devices (as I said you can do all that before starting your experiment).

If that works OK then you shouldn't have problems, but if you still want to double check, you may delete your cookies on your page (Chrome devtools has this option under the "Application" tab) and retry. Another option is to close and re-open Chrome incognito windows - each one will be a different visitor.

With a little persistence (and depending on your luck) you should be able to see all variants.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to test my test on BrowserStack - and the preview link is not even remotely working (nor is the live url [the test is live]). So far I've been unable to confirm that the test is running as it should (including clearing caches/cookies, etc). Any advice?

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hi

Could you share your container ID? I assume that preview is not working when you try it from your local machine right?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sure! Container ID is GTM-KXP9ZSZ. Not working reliably on local machine, my coworkers' local machines, or in BrowserStack (remote testing of multiple devices/browsers). Test option #2 should be showing 99% of the time, we can only get it to show maybe one out of ten. Our goal is to confirm that the test is working as it should be, before it goes live.

Thank you!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Dimitris! Any insight into why we can't see our live site? Thanks!

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

Hi

Is the problem happening with a QA experiment or for the one that you want to do live?

Could you check that the "targeting URL" is the same with the "editor page URL"? (click on the targeting tab of the experiment page). A common mistake is to copy an experiment from QA to live and modify the "editor page URL" but ignore the related warning and forget to update the targeting rule.

Or is the problem also happening on your QA environment? Also just to check: have you been using the page hiding snippet?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We do have the same url for targeting and editing - and we added the hiding snippet, but has not improved.

The test is live on the url - not sure what you mean by QA experiment & environment?