Optimize
2K members online now
2K members online now
Everything you need to know about setting up Optimize including creating your account and container, linking to Google Analytics and how to tag your site.
Guide Me
star_border

Editor functionality

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can anyone tell me exactly how changes work in the editor interface? So I've plugged Optimize into the code of my site, but how is it rendering changes on my site without access to the CMS? Is this being done through laying CSS over the top of my page, or what? Having a hard time finding the answer to this. Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Travis S
April 2017

Editor functionality

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

The Optimize editor is just preparing a list of changes that you want to do (i.e. change the color of  a button, or change the text of a header) which are then saved in your experiment, under your Optimize container.

In order to run your experiment (for your users), you need to include the Optimize snippet in your page (actually, before starting your experiment for your real users, you may want to test it first yourself, using the preview functionality).

This snippet will then download the Optimize container script, which implements the modifications on the user's browser (you are right, on top of your actual page that is served by your CMS).

The Optimize runtime does all necessary hiding (if your follow the recommended instructions) so that your users will not be able to see the original page before it gets changed.

You are right to say that style changes are by default implemented by inserting CSS on the page, but other changes (like text) have different implementation which modifies the DOM of the page using javascript. 

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Travis S
April 2017

Editor functionality

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

The Optimize editor is just preparing a list of changes that you want to do (i.e. change the color of  a button, or change the text of a header) which are then saved in your experiment, under your Optimize container.

In order to run your experiment (for your users), you need to include the Optimize snippet in your page (actually, before starting your experiment for your real users, you may want to test it first yourself, using the preview functionality).

This snippet will then download the Optimize container script, which implements the modifications on the user's browser (you are right, on top of your actual page that is served by your CMS).

The Optimize runtime does all necessary hiding (if your follow the recommended instructions) so that your users will not be able to see the original page before it gets changed.

You are right to say that style changes are by default implemented by inserting CSS on the page, but other changes (like text) have different implementation which modifies the DOM of the page using javascript.