Optimize
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Everything you need to know about setting up Optimize including creating your account and container, linking to Google Analytics and how to tag your site.
Guide Me
star_border

Does Google account for Crawlers in a URL Redirect Test? (SEO)

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey gang,

If I setup a URL redirect test, do I still need to add a canonical URL in the page code to avoid impacting our SEO? 

Can't tell if Google takes SEO implications into account?   Is the answer different for the other options besides URL redirect? 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

You should add noindex on the page that your test redirects to to avoid damage to SEO.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Ye okay, same solution as the canonical link (which I think Google says they prefer over noindex as it's a more accurate depiction of what is happening) 

That requires changing the code though, which is what I was hoping to avoid, so our Merch team could setup tests without needing developer help. 

Any way around this? 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Not that I know of, unless Google provides some insight into this. We've had to use some dev resources to alter accordingly.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Sam - how will Googlebot crawl the URL redirect test page? Just don't put it in your links or sitemap and you'll be fine.

See https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2576845?hl=en&ref_topic=1745207

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

So you're saying the only way crawlers find pages on a site is through the sitemap?  And if we exclude these pages from the sitemap, Google will never crawl them? 

The link you provided didn't really mention much about this scenario. 

Re: Does Google account for Crawlers in a URL Redirect Test? (SEO)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Via the sitemap or a link from another page - I presume you’re not linking
to your B test page from anywhere else?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

So if you don't link to the page from anywhere else, and exclude from your sitemap, crawlers wont find the page?