Optimize
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Everything you need to know about setting up Optimize including creating your account and container, linking to Google Analytics and how to tag your site.
Guide Me
star_border

Do you need to add firing trigger in Google Optimize tag ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

HI guys,

I am implementing google optimize tag within the tag manager. According to the instructions Google says to save the tag without triggers.

Don't you have to add which pages the optimize tag will fire on?

Regards

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kelly D
May 2017

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Kelly D,

If you use tag sequencing in GTM then you won't be needing the trigger to fire the tag.

So for Eg: In Google Analytics tag, if you setup 
- Fire a Tag before Google Analytics fire --> Setup Tag is Google Optimize Tag.

then the Google optimize tag will fire automatically before the Google Analytics (using GA trigger
(that's the reason google didn't mention triggers)

If you want to fire Google Optimize on some pages then you can create a separate trigger for it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Ritwik B 

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi kelly,

Of course, it is a tag and it does require a firing trigger. I have installed optimize free using GTM and also run few successful experiments. I didn't see anywhere about not adding the trigger. can you please mention? 

You can set the trigger to fire on all pages. 

Hope this helps

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kelly D
May 2017

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Kelly D,

If you use tag sequencing in GTM then you won't be needing the trigger to fire the tag.

So for Eg: In Google Analytics tag, if you setup 
- Fire a Tag before Google Analytics fire --> Setup Tag is Google Optimize Tag.

then the Google optimize tag will fire automatically before the Google Analytics (using GA trigger
(that's the reason google didn't mention triggers)

If you want to fire Google Optimize on some pages then you can create a separate trigger for it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Ritwik B 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

HI,

Thanks for your reply. 

It now fires on all pages that have GA tags. Im just wondering it will slow down the whole site. 

Is it possible to add a trigger just for the pages that I am testing under Optimize tag? Will it effect the GA tag to fire on other pages. 

Regards,

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi Kelly

The instructions (https://support.google.com/tagmanager/answer/7164339?hl=en) mention that you should use the Optimize tag as a setup tag on "Google Analytics Page View tags", so the Optimize tag will fire when these "Page view tags" fire. 

If you use the page hiding snippet, make sure that you fire these page view tags using the "Page view" event to avoid flickering.

The pages where experiments will actually run, is setup from Google Optimize itself.