Optimize
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Everything you need to know about setting up Optimize including creating your account and container, linking to Google Analytics and how to tag your site.
Guide Me
star_border

Customizing Analytics code for use with GTM

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have launched an Optimize multivariate test which shows active users but no sessions. Our best guess is that this is because there's something wrong with the customized version of Analytics code we placed.

We use GTM to add the standard GA code to the site. The Optimize documentation says a second version of the GA code has to be placed on the pages being tested, outside of the GTM container, and it provides some detail on how to customize it to include any/all customizations. Yet as far as I know, there's no way to see what the GA code within GTM actually looks like on the site so I can't confirm that the Optimize version has all the customizations, which the documentation says might cause the GA code to fail.

Has anyone been through this issue and resolved it?

Customizing Analytics code for use with GTM

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

It'd be great to have more response from Google on their products, but based on my experience, following their documentation and implementing snippets via GTM broke Optimize (by snippets, I'm referring to the global snippet needed to run Optimize along with the snippet to address page flashing). On the site, if you do a search in console for Optimize, you should be able to see the code that was injected. If you do not then something hasn't been implemented correctly.