1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Everything you need to know about setting up Optimize including creating your account and container, linking to Google Analytics and how to tag your site.
Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

Conversions not registering in Optimize

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've set up test experiments for both A/B and Multivariate using a destination goal, and although goal conversions are showing up in Analytics, I'm only seeing a small fraction of those conversions in Optimize. Here's the setup:

The goal is a destination, with funnel, where step 1 is required and is the same as the experiment path. The destination path is on another subdomain. The goal conversion subdomain is configured on the property in "Referral Exclusion List". 

I've tried with both A/B and Multivariate, and what I'm seeing is sessions getting recorded for each variant, but 0 to 1 conversions, even though I might have 10-20 appearing on any given day in Analytics.

With a traditional experiment in Analytics, there's no need to include the experiment snippet on goal pages, so initially I didn't include the optimize snippets on the conversion page. I then added it to all pages, including ones that had nothing to do with the experiment, and still no luck.

Here's an example of what I'm seeing in the reporting. This is an A/B Optimize experiment using the destination goal and set to 100% of traffic:

Optimize sessionsOptimize sessionsConversions for each variant in OptimizeConversions for each variant in Optimizetotal conversions in Google Analyticstotal conversions in Google Analytics

You'll see that there are 6 goal completions in GA, and only 2 in the experiment. This is a test environment and all 6 of those conversions were tested from a page running the Optimize experiment.

I'm at a loss as to why the numbers are off. If anyone has experienced this issue I'd appreciate any ideas.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

It'd be great to hear what Google would recommend in this situation. I experienced a similar issue with data populating oddly that no one has addressed either. I'm at the point where I think that once you've launched an experiment, you can't make modifications at all which is not ideal for testing as developers should have the option to do that. Perhaps it's because you made adjustments after you already started pulling in results and that threw things off. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Would like answers about conversion discrepancies between Analytics and Optimize as well. Once our experiment started (a redirect test for AdWords landing pages) it stopped recording goal conversions. Goals were still tracking for all other sources in Analytics, but not AdWords. Once we turned experiment off, Analytics started showing conversions for AdWords again. Can't figure out the issue.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've seen a similar thing- GA reports goal conversions (from the goals overview report) and , Optimize and GA experiment report does not. So much for the advantage of integration between the two tools...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a similar issue. Optimize is tracking sessions correctly, but it's not tracking the goal at all. The goal event fires on the experiment page. I'm seeing the goal being tracked correctly in GA. However, optimize is showing 0% conversion rate.

Have any of you fine people figured the issue out?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Still no luck here. We have gone back to using the classic experiments in GA for now. I'd love to be able to use true multivariate testing, though.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for that reply, Mike. It really is too bad. The WYSIWYG interface for creating page versions is a great feature of Optimize. 

Re: Conversions not registering in Optimize

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Similar issue, no conversions registering in Optimize or in the Experiments report in GA.

No conversions or conversion rate in GA Experiment reportNo conversions or conversion rate in GA Experiment reportGoals were completed in GAGoals were completed in GANo conversions, but a conversion rate!?!?No conversions, but a conversion rate!?!?