Optimize
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Everything you need to know about setting up Optimize including creating your account and container, linking to Google Analytics and how to tag your site.
Guide Me
star_border

Can't see changed text on variations preview

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have an A/B test and the snippet installed on my page but the changes I made are not being displayed.

I've downloaded the Google Optimize plugin which says that I'm previewing the variant but, the changes are not visible.

Things I've tried:

I thought Optimize was getting triggered too early, as I use React to render my page, the DOM node that needed to be modified might not be there, so I changed the experiment to run on a trigger and added a trigger in the page's componentDidMount method (using 

dataLayer.push({event:"optimize.activate"})

)

I also tried moving the optimize snippet to after my page rendering script.

I have tried debugging in the browser, pausing the script at the point I run the trigger for optimize, and the dom tree appears just fine. I can even modify and replace the text manually there and have it persist.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hammad F
April 2017

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi, I had a look but I think you have already figured what was the problem (related to targeting right)?

You can also paste multiple URLs in a single rule, to do an "or" (apply your experiment to any of them).

View solution in original post

Re: Can't see changed text on variations preview

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Have you also enabled custom activation in the experiment details page?

oF8r0i9qGyk.png

If you have and this is not the problem, would it be possible to share the page (if public) to have a closer look?

Re: Can't see changed text on variations preview

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Dimitris D, yes I have this setting enabled.

Here is the page I have set up the experiment on: https://thementat.com

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hammad F
April 2017

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi, I had a look but I think you have already figured what was the problem (related to targeting right)?

You can also paste multiple URLs in a single rule, to do an "or" (apply your experiment to any of them).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

yes, it was related to targeting. we had multiple conflicting rules, so none matched.

thanks!