Optimize
6K members online now
6K members online now
Learn how to create your first experiment and get tips on creating A/B, redirect, and multivariate tests.
Guide Me
star_border

Which Editor Page url do you pick if the destination url has a unique link

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

I'd like to set up an experiment that features on pages with unique urls (e.g. a checkout page).

I noticed that I could filter a target audience based on urls. However, I am not sure how to pick the editor page. If I take our homepage url, I cannot get to the relevant page. I tried to do a regex for a page that contains parts of the url, but it didn't work.

example

target audience for urls containing /cart/checkout/pay

an example of the editing url would be shop.com/cart/checkout/pay/34649849

How do I edit the relevant checkout page?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Livia V
June 2017

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi

Just use any checkout page as the editor page, or even your home page - it doesn't matter.

For example you can start from your home page, then go to interactive mode and navigate normally through your site (you may even do things like login, post forms etc) until you reach the page that you want to edit (i.e. your checkout page).

Do your edits there, save and then go back to the experiment targeting rules and make sure that these are correct.

You can use target audiences or a url regex match

(for example path regex  /cart/checkout/pay/.*)

The only problem of having your home page as the editor page, is that you will need to do the navigation, any time that you want to modify your variants.

If you have a stable "representative" url for the checkout page (any will do), then this is preferable - otherwise (i.e. your page has state or using POST) you will need to navigate using "interactive mode"

Hope this helped.

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Disappointed no one from Google could address this even though it's been mentioned in other threads. I sorted this out the unnecessary way through trial and error. To get this to work, you would pick any URL (homepage.com for example), then you would make your modifications by selecting the Head element, and injecting JavaScript. My workflow is to have the checkout page open in one window so I can grab elements, and build/test my code in console. Then when I'm all set, I copy and paste that code into the actual experiment. To get this to work on your checkout page, you'll finally need to go into your targeting conditions and tell this experiment to only run if someone lands on your checkout page.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Livia V
June 2017

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi

Just use any checkout page as the editor page, or even your home page - it doesn't matter.

For example you can start from your home page, then go to interactive mode and navigate normally through your site (you may even do things like login, post forms etc) until you reach the page that you want to edit (i.e. your checkout page).

Do your edits there, save and then go back to the experiment targeting rules and make sure that these are correct.

You can use target audiences or a url regex match

(for example path regex  /cart/checkout/pay/.*)

The only problem of having your home page as the editor page, is that you will need to do the navigation, any time that you want to modify your variants.

If you have a stable "representative" url for the checkout page (any will do), then this is preferable - otherwise (i.e. your page has state or using POST) you will need to navigate using "interactive mode"

Hope this helped.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you both!