Optimize
3K members online now
3K members online now
Learn how to create your first experiment and get tips on creating A/B, redirect, and multivariate tests.
Guide Me
star_border

Variant is not loading on non-desktop devices

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

Got some peculiar problem with Optimize. 

I set up an experiment and previewed it (targeting did no specify devices, just URL) - everything was working perfectly on desktop, but on any other device category the original version was loading instead of the variant. Just that you know - the site is responsive.

Any idea why that might be the case?

Much appreciate your help!

Kamila

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Jason O (Community Manager)
May 2017

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Try this: open your style changes in the change list (click on the number of changes in the top of the editor) and check the "Important" checkbox. This will help your change to override responsive rules that are applied on different screen sizes.

The problem though, is that this may often not look right, since these responsive rules are there to ensure that things look OK on different screen sizes - while it may be possible that they even hide the element that you are editing all-together.

If you have some understanding on CSS and media queries, you could use the CSS code dialog, to implement your variation for different screen sizes.

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It's hard to say without knowing the configuration (targeting of your experiment). Do you mind sharing the screenshot on how the targeting is configured? On how many non-desktop devices have you tested?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I had a similar issue. Long story short, I was picking the wrong wrong element -- I would double check the element you are picking. It may be the case that you need to pick the parent element/container.

You might also want to try running the editor in the mobile view and making the changes there.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Jason O (Community Manager)
May 2017

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Try this: open your style changes in the change list (click on the number of changes in the top of the editor) and check the "Important" checkbox. This will help your change to override responsive rules that are applied on different screen sizes.

The problem though, is that this may often not look right, since these responsive rules are there to ensure that things look OK on different screen sizes - while it may be possible that they even hide the element that you are editing all-together.

If you have some understanding on CSS and media queries, you could use the CSS code dialog, to implement your variation for different screen sizes.