AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Optimize
4K members online now
4K members online now
Learn how to create your first experiment and get tips on creating A/B, redirect, and multivariate tests.
Guide Me
star_border

The visual editor isn't working for me - I can't see the visual palette or make any changes?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've just set up Google Optimize for the first time and am trying to set up my first experiment. I can load the correct page in the visual editor and I see the orange/red bar at the top of the page. I can select any element I want on the page and it will be surrounded by a blue line. But I can't find a way to actually make any changes. The visual palette, which I think is supposed to appear in the bottom right-hand corner, hasn't appeared for me. If I click on the little icon to the far left of the bar at the top of the page (it's a rectangle with circles on each of its four corners), an option pops up to 'ADD CHANGE' but the button is greyed out and I can't click on it.

I'm in Chrome - I've tried turning off all irrelevant extensions but that didn't seem to make any difference. Can anyone help me please?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lydia C
June 2017

The visual editor isn't working for me - I can't see the visual palette or make any changes?

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Lydia

Have you click the "New variant" button and try to edit a new variant? If you are just clicking on the "Original" row, you will not be able to edit.

This row is there to just to allow you to inspect how you page was without having any of your active experiments.

View solution in original post

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Can you share the URL of the page you are trying to edit?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lydia C
June 2017

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Lydia

Have you click the "New variant" button and try to edit a new variant? If you are just clicking on the "Original" row, you will not be able to edit.

This row is there to just to allow you to inspect how you page was without having any of your active experiments.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Dimitris! This is exactly the mistake I was making! It seems so obvious but you've cleared up the problem perfectly. Thank you Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Dimitris,

I also have the same issue, but i can't understand what you are saying. Can you please explain it in details. I want to edit the text of the button i.e. "Select Cab". Please find my URL...https://hippocabs.com/Jaipur-to-Delhi-cab

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Hi Hitesh

Have you been able to figure things out? There may be different reasons that you can't see the palette and edit your page.

- Clicking on the "Original" variant. You should do that only if you want to see your "Original page" even when the experiment is running. There is now a warning in place to help you avoid this mistake.

- If you have only "read" but not "write" or "publish" privileges on your container. Use the "back links" on the top left of the page to go back to the "Accounts" page. There click on the "users" icon and make sure that you have at least "write" privileges.

- The experiment is not draft (is running or ended). In that case you can make a copy (use the overflow button of an experiment at the container page).

One nice trick that you be useful in your case: since you have multiple "Select Cab" buttons, you can easily select them all  to change their text. This will be applied on your visitors pages later regardless of how many buttons exist.

The editor tries to make this easy for you but it doesn't work always (it depends on your page). Try it though: if you keep the "Shift" button pressed and click on multiple elements, it will be you the option to "select all similar" (on top left).

I don't think that it works on your page but you can type the CSS selector youself - I think the correct one would be .cab-row button.

- Click on the drop-down arrow at the top-left, before the hierarchy bar.

- Type in .cab-row button. All your buttons should be selected.

- Use the "Add change" menu and pick "Text"

- Pick the replace option and type the new text

Re: The visual editor isn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply. Now I found the issue, I was trying to make changes
to the already running experiment, that's why the thing was not working.
But now I made a copy of the experiment and things are working.

Again thanks for the reply...