Optimize
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Learn how to create your first experiment and get tips on creating A/B, redirect, and multivariate tests.
Guide Me
star_border

Setting multiple experiments server-side

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I'm trying to set up server-side logging of experiments. I understand the concept of setting the 'exp' property with an experimentID plus the variant number (separated by a dot), which will then be sent along on every pageview/event/etc.

However, what if I want my user to be in multiple experiments at the same time? Is there a way to do this? Just guessing here, but would I set a comma separated list of experimentID and variant? Or some other format?

/Cheers,

Jelte

C T
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
C T
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Also wondering the same thing.

Doing something like:

ga('set','exp','MyExperimentID.VariationID');

ga('set','exp','MySecondExperimentID.VariationID');

won't work (tried it to make sure and it just assigns the last experiment "set").

[ Edited ]
C T
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
C T
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok.....no later had I posted the last post than I think I've gotten it working.

I recalled how if you *aren't* doing it server side (and Google is setting their experiment cookie), if you are running multiple experiments, they seperate them by a '!' (an exclamation point delimited list).

So, tried that with ga('set') and it worked.

Instead of this:

ga('set','exp','MyExperimentID.VariationID');

ga('set','exp','MySecondExperimentID.VariationID');

Do this:

ga('set','exp','MyExperimentID.VariationID!MySecondExperimentID.VariationID');

Now I'm not 100% sure this going to work but the Active Users in Optimize is now showing with users across both experiments (where as before it was only the last one being called).

---------------- Update

I can confirm this does work.  We've run multiple tests now at a time and looks to be working.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks; but we've since moved away from Google Optimize (we use a home grown solution in combination with Mixpanel now)