Optimize
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Learn how to create your first experiment and get tips on creating A/B, redirect, and multivariate tests.
Guide Me
star_border

Set experiment objective to button click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would like to see if the modification I make to my website makes the user more likely to click a button. In google optimize I can only set the experiment objective to 3 things: Pageviews, Session duration and bounces. Is it possible to set the objective to a button click?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have the same question. Other testing tools like Optimizely or VWO offering this. This gives you the opportunity to optimize for micro conversions (click on element, ...) instead of macro (sale, submission, ...).

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

This is certainly a huge downside of Optimize but it is pretty easy to get around it. Just create segments in Analytics based on what Experiment and Variant the visitors had.

You will find it under create new segment → advanced conditions → experiment ID (enter your ID here) + variant (enter 0, 1, 2 etc).

Send the button click as an event into your Analytics (just Google if you need help with this) and then just segment the event report based on what you set up above.

Happy experimenting Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

There is another perhaps more direct way ... If the button click consistently takes you to the same page, then you can create a destination goal in your analytics account, and then use the goal as your objective in Optimize. The conversion rate for the goal will reflect the percentage button clicks.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

PS: The recommendation only works if the button is the only way to reach the destination page. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In the Objective configuration select event and configure the rule for click event