Optimize
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Learn how to create your first experiment and get tips on creating A/B, redirect, and multivariate tests.
Guide Me
star_border

Querying the google optimize cookies in code

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'd like to use google optimize for for controlling of tests and reporting, but not for changing content in the page. I'd like to use it in my code as I have with other ab testing setups, so if I'm in one side of the split test then do something different. Assuming I should do that here by just checking the value of a cookie. But what cookies are set based on my split test? Will they be easy to spot?

Previously we were using some split testing code that set a cookie with name ab_ + the test name and set it to a value of experiment so the cookie might match /ab_MY_TEST=MY_EXPERIMENT/ but normally there'd be a helper function to test this, say

if (abba.test('MY_TEST').is('MY_EXPERIMENT')) {

// we're in the split test

}

do I have ga helper functions to help me identify which split test I'm on? If not what cookie do I look for to tell me this? Guessing it's going to be code names of tests rather than friendly strings.

if (document.cookie.match(/ab_hosted_session=.*hosted_session/)) {

// we're in our split test

}

2 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

to answer my own questions slightly I can see a cookie being set, along the lines of

_gaexp=GAX1.3.a2rn7FxGTuOEl_0hna455w.17230.0

what does this mean? How do I decode it? Or are their other tools I can use to say "what experiment is running? what side of that experiment am I in?"

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Paul C - the last number is the variation - all the rest I have no idea yet. The info you seek will probably be available once and if an Optimize API is exposed.

Kind regards,

Zorin

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Jason O (Community Manager)
December 2016

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

An idea would be to add a single "Run Javascript" change in each of your variations where you set a global window variable with a value or your preference.

You could then use this global variable in your own code - just make sure that this is happening after the Optimize container has been loaded and run.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thanks, but feels like an extra manual step that we should be able to avoid