Optimize
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Learn how to create your first experiment and get tips on creating A/B, redirect, and multivariate tests.
Guide Me
star_border

Is Experiment URL Case sensitive?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

I want to run an A/B test on my homepage but the problem I am seeing is that there are multiple URLs for the same page.

For example:

URL 1: abc.com/Page/Xyz.aspx

URL 2: abc.com/page/xyz.aspx

URL3: abc.com/Page/xyz.aspx

URL4: abc.com/page/Xyz.aspx

All of the above URLs load the same page and each URL works. How to deal with this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Archit, 

This is a perfect case where you can use an Analytics filter to sort out your traffic. You can create a custom filter to modify incoming traffic to make them lower case, for more information see the following link: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033162?hl=en

Additionally you can use a search and replace filter to modify past data to make in into a single url, for more information check out the following link: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034834?hl=en&ref_topic=1034830 

Let me know if this solves your problem! 

- Josh

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Josh,

Thanks for your answer. 

I have a filter applied in one of the views in Google Analytics to convert the URLs to lower case which is working as expected.

But my problem is with creating experiments in Google Optimize. Will Optimize take care of the URLs?

Let's say I create an experiment on the URL1: abc.com/Page/Xyz.aspx. Will the experiment still run on below URLs as well:

URL2: abc.com/page/xyz.aspx

URL3: abc.com/Page/xyz.aspx

URL4: abc.com/page/Xyz.aspx

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Optimize would not take care of the URL. You need to go into your targeting conditions and either add all the URLs where a visitor could get bucketed, use a RegExp, or create a custom JavaScript function that would only equate to true on the URLs you specify.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Robert,

To my amaze, Optimize does take care of the URL case. I ran an experiment on one of such URL(on my QA site) which had identical three different URLs all in the different case. I could see Google Optimize delivering content on the page which I configured in the experiment.