Optimize
6.1K members online now
6.1K members online now
Learn how to create your first experiment and get tips on creating A/B, redirect, and multivariate tests.
Guide Me
star_border

How to test a set of pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

I tryied to test a set of pages and i could find a way. To be more specific my question concerns the pages like "product pages" or "category pages" and not a specific product or category page.

Looking forward to hear from you.

George Filippopoulos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You can do this by either setting a URL match that matches or partially matches the URLs of the pages you want to target: e.g. if all product pages contain 'product' you can do this. 

If you can't match on URLs, you can:

1. Set a URL match to match all pages and then

2. Set another rule to match based on something else - such as a javascript value or data  layer variable

I have run tests across multiple different pages in this manner.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How does this work exactly, this dynamic URL matching? Can you provide an example/screenshot please?

Re: How to test a set of pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Simon,

You don't really match on URL, rather you use one of the other methods (e.g. custom javascript or data layer value) to isolate your pages:

Use the 'custom javascript' condition to create a rule to fire based on the presence of a div - this could be used to target product pages for example.Use the 'custom javascript' condition to create a rule to fire based on the presence of a div - this could be used to target product pages for example.The condition itself.The condition itself.In addition to this, it seems Optimize requires a URL or path match before you can publish the experiment, so create one that matches all pages (contains: yourdomain for example) and add that in combination with your other rule.

Hope this helps!

Chris

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, Chris! Sounds very interesting. Have to look into this. Will get interesting in defining the alternative version to show in that case I guess (are the changes made dynamically by JavaScript mutations or can an alternative page be adressed with some custom variables for the URL, i.e. /product/1234)?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Also learned something new!

Thank you!