AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Optimize
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Learn how to create your first experiment and get tips on creating A/B, redirect, and multivariate tests.
Guide Me
star_border

How to perform A/B testing on drop down menu's with Google Optimize?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to run an A/B test on one of our websites. I would like to change the background color of a button in the menu. The problem is that the buttons appears in a drop down menu. 

When I click on the button to access the drop down menu in Google Optimize, I can edit the menu button. But I cannot acces the actual drop down menu which contains the button I actually want to edit. 

Does anyone know how to edit buttons in a drop down menu?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Jason O (Community Manager)
April 2017

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi,

for editing interactive elements you can use Interactive mode in editor. 

1. Go into Interactive mode
2. Highlight the specific section
3. Hit shift +enter
Your element will now be selected. 
Although the dropdown disappears the element should stay selected. You can check if that's true in hierarchy navigation / element editor. 
Other way to select an interactive element is to create a change and use selector editing to type out the exact selector (or pseudo-selector if we are talking about hovers etc.) 

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Jason O (Community Manager)
April 2017

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi,

for editing interactive elements you can use Interactive mode in editor. 

1. Go into Interactive mode
2. Highlight the specific section
3. Hit shift +enter
Your element will now be selected. 
Although the dropdown disappears the element should stay selected. You can check if that's true in hierarchy navigation / element editor. 
Other way to select an interactive element is to create a change and use selector editing to type out the exact selector (or pseudo-selector if we are talking about hovers etc.)