AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Optimize
3K members online now
3K members online now
Learn how to create your first experiment and get tips on creating A/B, redirect, and multivariate tests.
Guide Me
star_border

How do I edit an experiment after it has been launched?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I launched an experiment but there are a few changes I'd like to make. How do I edit the variation while the experiment is running? The option to attach an element to a container or apply changes to an existing edit is grayed out...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Julian J,

Once you log-in to   Optimize beta then click on the container which you want to edit in next step you will see pencil icon at right corner, Just click on that and edit you can refer the following screenshot.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This doesn't allow me to edit the variation. The only thing I can edit there is the experiment name.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry Friend even am not able to edit it but i will do research on that and come back to you.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I was looking for the same thing. 

As of now it seems to me Google Optimize does not allow editing a once-started experiment... 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I haven't been able to edit after launch either. When I set up a test I edited the HTML on form fields but it seemed to have doubled all my form fields and now I can't change it unless I delete the test :/ 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Do you really need to delete the test? As far as I see it it is indeed impossible to change the test after start. However, you can stop and copy the test, if that is of any help..

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Maybe Google Optimize restricts changes after test start because it is commonly viewed as dangerous / faulty to change a test after its launch (with respect to data consistency).

However, that in my opinion is somewhat short-sighted: It could be necessary to make changes to a test just to maintain that data consistency (although it should be handled very carefully). 

Example: While a test is running you are launching an advertisment campaign that is expected to attract a very different kind of customer (eg. a very price-sensitive group of customers while your usual customers are not). It can make sense to exclude the visitors from that ad campaign from your test. You might need to change eg. the targeting of your test. 

Note: I just tried if it was possible to pause a test, then make changes and then re-start - but it does not seem to be. So it seems we're stuck as is... 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Additionally, it would be excellent if I could adjust traffic to zero for poorly performing variations on low traffic sites. Have you found that you are able to do that? I gave it a try but it appears that it may have just ended the test. Unless someone else in my organization decided to go ahead and end the test without letting me know.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Not being able to make any changes -even cosmetic ones- to in progress experiments, is very boring. Hope dev team can launch a feature on that.