AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Optimize
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Learn how to create your first experiment and get tips on creating A/B, redirect, and multivariate tests.
Guide Me
star_border

Hiding an element via display:none; only works in editor mode, preview still shows element

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi there,

today I started implementing the Optimizer (via GTM) and went straight into thinking of a test (it seems to appear in the <head> section). The idea is that a specific logo (a trust logo/widget in our online shop) is visible by standard and the div-container gets a display:none for half of the visitors. So I want to see how the conversion is affected by seeing or not seeing the trust seal.

I therefore went into the editor mode, clicked on my element and simply chose "REMOVE". Checking the CSS (via the <> icon on the top right) it says:

#widget_fixed_container {
  display : none;
}

Now the web preview still shows the widget and the diagnostics says:

Page modified after initial load

I am quite unsure how to handle this now. Viewing the source code of the preview page I was hoping to find the specified CSS code, but I don't. What could someone suggest in doing?

Thanks a lot for reading

Benjamin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Benjamin S
June 2017

Hiding an element via display:none; only works in editor mode, preview still shows element

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I might have found the issue. After changing the targeting rules it works, I might have had a little mistake in that. So I guess for anyone who experiences the same behaviour (editor = OK, preview = NOT OK) could look into the TARGETING and check for errors.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Benjamin S
June 2017

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I might have found the issue. After changing the targeting rules it works, I might have had a little mistake in that. So I guess for anyone who experiences the same behaviour (editor = OK, preview = NOT OK) could look into the TARGETING and check for errors.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank you for coming back with an update for this post, you just solved my issue!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Glad I could point at least one person into the right direction. By the time using Optimize I also came across the situation that one extension in my Chrome was blocking the Optimize container. Very weird since it didn't block Tag Manager. But a bit of trial & error gave me a working preview.

If you carefully check that

* you used the correct variant to preview,

* the targeting is correct and works (the testing option is good since I need to fiddle around with regex a lot for targeting rules) and

* you can exclude extensions for script blocking

you should have a good chance to be fine.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

This is really useful! I was going crazy because what I saw in edit mode didn't match what I saw in preview mode... didn't even think to check the targeting rules until I saw your post. And your other suggestions will definitely help too the next time I run into something weird. Thanks again.