Optimize
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Learn how to create your first experiment and get tips on creating A/B, redirect, and multivariate tests.
Guide Me
star_border

Google optimze and goal in view with user id, no conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have successfully done some AB-tests with Google Analytics where the objective is a goal in a GA view which does not have user id enabled.

Now I want to set the objective to be goal in a view which has user id enabled. The problem is that I don not see any conversions in Google Optimize. They are in Google Analytics though.

This is my setup with user id:

1. Visitors visit my page at domain.com, no user id is set yet.

2. Some visitors creates an account and login to our application app.domain.com (same GA tracking code for this sub domain)

3. After the visitor has logged in we set the user id in GA. Session Unification is enabled in the view.

4. The AB-test is on a page at domain.com before visitors creates an account and have user id set. The goal is later when the user id is set.

5. GA tracks goals correctly but I don't see them in Google Optimize.

Are GA views with user id not supported in Google Optimize?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

One idea would be to use activation events and activate the Optimize experiment after you have setup the user id.

See: https://support.google.com/360suite/optimize/answer/7008840?hl=en

Have in mind though, that if you want to make visual changes in that same page, these will become visible, only at the time that the experiment will be activated.

You could also use targeting conditions (i.e. "Javascript variable" or "Custom javascript") or Optimize 360 "Google Analytics Audiences" to restrict the experiment to logged in users, if you wish so. These targeting conditions will also be evaluated at the time that the experiment gets activated.  

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok

As I guess, the setup I have is not supported in Google Optimize? To be able to AB-test a page which is before the user has a user id and the goal is after the user is registered.