Optimize
3K members online now
3K members online now
Learn how to create your first experiment and get tips on creating A/B, redirect, and multivariate tests.
Guide Me
star_border

Google Optimize/ How do I add a page to my variant (so experiment works on multiple categories)?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to add a sidebar of categories on my subcategories page. I am able to create the variant and add the code for one category but am not able to find where to add multiple pages to the event. I would like to have the ability to test each category separately but with the same variant and still the test split 50/50. Can someone help me with this feature? Does it exist?

Google Optimize/ How do I add a page to my variant (so experiment works on multiple categories)?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes. You can target the whole experiment to run on multiple pages, just add the URLs in the "Targeting" tab, right next to "Objectives".

Re: Google Optimize/ How do I add a page to my variant (so experiment works on multiple categories)?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply!

Looks like I need to experiment more with the targeting tool. I had it set
to my main URL but what I understand you saying is I need to create a new
A/B test for each category page and change the target URL, is that correct?
Or do I create a new variant? And how does that work with reporting? On
Adobe Target I am able to add a page to my current test and have it run
under the same test but I have not found that option with Optimize...

Re: Google Optimize/ How do I add a page to my variant (so experiment works on multiple categories)?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

It all depends on what exactly are you trying to achieve with your experiement. From what you wrote above, I understood that you want to add an element to all pages. And the element is the same on each page.

If that is the case, just add the element in the editor as one variant. Then target the experiment to run on all the pages you need.

And again, the analysis depends on what your goals are. In Optimize itself, you can select from goals you have under your Analytics account - coversions etc. You can also track user behavior on each page - by creating a segment based on what variant of the experiment they got (sidebar or no sidebar).

See my reply here to learn how to create the segments https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-Optimize-Experiment/Set-experiment-objective-to-but...

I hope this will be helpful. Just ask if you need to know more.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I definitely could've worded that better. The change I am making to my
category page is specific for the pages that fall under that category. I
will be making the same change but different links and wording relevant to
each category. The link does help though, I think I can get it figured out
from there. Thank you!