Optimize
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Learn how to create your first experiment and get tips on creating A/B, redirect, and multivariate tests.
Guide Me
star_border

Getting an adaptive mobile site to load in the editor?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are having trouble getting the mobile adaptive version of a site to load in the editor. 

From the experiment details page, the mobile preview loads as expected, but in the editor, choosing one of the mobile options just displays the desktop version of the site. This makes it difficult to create variations in the editor.

Has anyone experienced this and is there a way around it? Please let me know if you need the URL of the site or any other information.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Jan

Thanks for sharing the problem.

Yes it would be great if you could share the URL (or at least your container ID).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The container ID is GTM-MN85C5L

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi

You seem to have a non-conventional setup where I think that your site modifies the page on the client side based on the user agent.

While Google Optimize is doing mobile emulation (modifies the user agent and HTTP headers), it seems that this is not been able to make things work on your site (your mobile adaptation script runs too early).

I think that you can force your site to work on mobile adaptation mode by adding the #showmobile fragment at the end of the URL as the editor model page (will be ignored during targeting or you can modify your targeting rule and remove it). This would be a short term workaround.

Keep in mind thought that you may need to use activation events to trigger experiments after all the code that modifies your page has finished, particularly if you want to change content on the adaptive part of your site.

https://support.google.com/360suite/optimize/answer/7008840?hl=en