Optimize
2K members online now
2K members online now
Learn how to create your first experiment and get tips on creating A/B, redirect, and multivariate tests.
Guide Me
star_border

Experiment is running but only original is getting sessions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I started a quick experiment a week ago on a website: 50% to homepage, 50% to homepage variant.

Everything shows working as is. But, the original gets 100% of the sessions. Possibly related, our homepage traffic is almost 6 times the amount of visits it counted.

Any thoughts on why the variant isn't getting any sessions?

Screenshot:Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 8.39.13 AM.png

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi, Bob!

Could you share a screenshot of your targeting conditions (info under "when" & "who")?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here you go. Thanks!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

This is a tough one. Since you have kind of a little traffic it could be that all of your users ended up in the control variation - since the reporting tells you about the sessions and nothing about the users those 97 could be generated by 20 users with about 5 sessions each - probability of that is 1 in 400, still a bit unrealistic but if it's just 10 users with 10 sessions each the probability is 1 in 100.

Also had a quick look at the implementation of the Optimized snippet on your you site. It does not follow the latest recommendations by Google. You are for instance initzilazing the GTM container before the Optimize snippet. Here is a summary of it should look like that I made: https://gist.github.com/simondahla/3299703295771ba69a8761892a6e01b2#file-with-analytics-js-html

Here is a link to the official documentation: https://support.google.com/360suite/optimize/answer/7359264

Also, when I check your site I got this cookie _gaexp with the value of GAX1.2.6OiGPjTjQEuMQM24Edv-rA.17460.1

This means I'm included in one experiment with the ID of 6OiGPjTjQEuMQM24Edv-rA and seeing the second variation (Home - Contact Form, if you still running the same experiment as before), that's based on the last number in the cookie value, the original is always counted as no 0, first variation 1 and so on. So I'm definitely in your variation - and should show up there now.

TL;DR

You might have too few users for it to even out.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks so much for the help!!