Optimize
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Learn how to create your first experiment and get tips on creating A/B, redirect, and multivariate tests.
Guide Me
star_border

Editing Hidden Content With Google Optimise - Interactive Mode

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have just begun to use Google Optimize for one of my clients. I want to edit a form which pops up in a lightbox. To do this, I entered interactive mode and then selected the content I wanted to edit and it all appeared to work perfectly. However, after I saved, it then said that the element I selected does not exist. Is this due to the content not being within the source code of the main URL?

Thanks in advance

1 Expert replyverified_user

Editing Hidden Content With Google Optimise - Interactive Mode

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Do you know if the lightbox is inserted dynamically in the page by javascript (or alternatively is always in the page and is just shown/hidden)?

In the first case you may need to push activation events (https://support.google.com/360suite/optimize/answer/7008840?hl=en) every time that javascript may modify the page.

This is particularly true, if you want to change text or content in the light box.

To explain: without activation events, the changes are only applied at the time that the page is initially loaded in the browser, while with activation events you can reactivate your experiment at any time.

See this thread for more: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-Optimize-Setup-and/Google-Optimize-Single-Page-Appl...

Style changes will still work as long as your changes have the "implement as CSS rule" option (see change list in the editor), but generally it is recommended to use activation events if your site is client-side dynamic.

Don't forget to use the "preview" feature available on the experiment details page, to test your variation and see exactly what your end users will see. You can even use the "share preview" link to test your variation in different browsers and devices.