Optimize
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Learn how to create your first experiment and get tips on creating A/B, redirect, and multivariate tests.
Guide Me
star_border

An experiment with changes on several pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I wish to make a test where I change all buttons in my sales funnel to green. 

Original should be just like it is.

Variation should be green button on home page, green button on product page and confirmation page. 

Basically I want to keep conversion scent through out the sales funnel.

Is it possible to create a test with changes on more than one page? 

Thanks! 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

+1 for this question. Looking for a way to run an experiment for ecommerce stores, such that I can run a single experiment on a class or set of pages (e.g. all pages that contain /product/ ).

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Yes, absolutely.

The initial "model" page is just a representative page that you can use to input your changes using the editor.

Then go back to the experiment targeting area, remove the URL match rule (that the editor has added just for convenience) and add your own targeting rule using just your domain or a regular expression for the URLs that you want your experiment to apply.

There is even a "Check your rule" UI where you can make sure that the experiment will be applied to the pages that you want.

Finally, don't forget to use the "preview" button to make sure that everything works. In that window, you can navigate to any page of your site (you will still continue to "preview" for all pages of your site) and make sure that the effect is what you expect.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Alright, 

That is great news!

I have different class on different buttons so I would have to go in to each page in editor mode to make the changes.

So basically, I can press to create a variation or change the original -> that takes me to the url I have selected. However once I am in the editor, I can change the url in the address bar and make changes on other pages? 

Because of course the menu items do not work (since pressing them will only edit them, not take me to the link)

Have I understood this correct? 

Kind regards,

Marcus

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Marcus F
April

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Yes you are right.

You can navigate to different pages while on the editor and all changes from different pages will be applied to these pages with urls that match the targeting conditions.

So "editing" is just a process of create the set of changes and doesn't determine where these changes will apply; this is done based on the targeting rules.

Of course one has to be careful (when making an edit on one page, that will be applied in a different page) that the CSS selector used will not match anything on a page that shouldn't .

To give an example: say you load 2 pages A and B in the editor and on page B you replace the text of an element with selector "body>div" (i.e. you don't have specific classes or ids on that element). If then, you  set the targeting conditions to include both A and B, then the tool will replace the text on the element that corresponds body>div in A, whatever that may be.

About the second question for navigating vs edit in the editor: you can use the "interactive mode" button on the editor top bar, to temporarily remove the editor UI, and then use the menus to navigate.

You will just need to save any changes you have already done in the first page, before moving to the next.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Fantastic! 

I will obviously have to do some testing, and make sure the preview makes sense. But this really gives the solution a whole new level! 

Thanks for the thorough help you provided! 

Kind regards,

Marcus