Guide Me
star_border

Update fails: address.locality is invalid

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone,

I'm managing locations in different google accounts via api, and lately I'm getting an error in some locations that have a '/' in the locality name.

I was able to create and update those locations up until the 26th of july, then I started getting this error:

{
    "errorDetails": [
     {
      "field": "address.locality",
      "message": "address.locality is invalid",
      "value": "Fröndenberg/Ruhr",
      "code": 3
     }
    ],
    "@type": "type.googleapis.com/google.mybusiness.v3.ValidationError"
   }

All the locations that have this error have a '/' in the locality, and yes that is the correct name for the place, and it's also currently already displayed in the plus profiles and in the google places.

I've tried contacting the support through the my business interface but after 2 weeks I still have no answer... is anyone experiencing the same?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Update fails: address.locality is invalid

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi @Alex P,

“/” is considered an invalid character and should not be allowed in the locality field of the Address object for a location. The locality field is for the city or town where the business is located and can have a country-specific name. If your entry contains the “/” character in the locality field in the Google My Business UI, you will encounter the Invalid or missing Locality error that you need to correct for missing required information. Similarly, you will encounter a validation error in a request to create or update a location with the “/” invalid character in the locality field.

I suggest you use "Fröndenberg" for the locality field of the Address object when modifying a location since "Fröndenberg" is the accurate name of a town.

For more information about guidelines for representing your business on Google, please check out this article in the Google My Business Help Center.

Thanks,

Terry

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Terry,
thanks for the answer, did this change recently?
Our updates did work with this cities, up until late july. Our locations are still shown in maps and plus with the '/'. And even google maps displays the name of the city correctly, e.g.:
Maps search for city
I could not find in the guidelines a reference to not supported characters in the locality's name.
That's why before implementing a change on our system which would send "partial" data, I need to make sure it's not just a bug in the api.

Is there a way to get the list of unsupported characters?

Thanks a lot,

Alex.

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi @Alex P,

We are looking into this issue you reported that involves having the “/” character in the locality field of the Address object for a location. We will follow up with you once this issue has been resolved.

Thanks,

The Google My Business API team

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi @Alex P,

It appears that Google My Business has recently tightened the validation for location address. We'll start accepting more variations of address fields than before. However, there are still some address fields which we are not accepting. For now, please take out the “/” character in the locality field of the Address object when modifying a location. You will see different types of error messages highlighted in your account that need actions if you have submitted any specific invalid characters for specific fields.

Thanks,

The Google My Business API team