For developers who are using the Google My Business API to manage locations
Guide Me
star_border

Update Category Lists

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Some categories can be pushed to Germany even though they aren't in the German category list, e.g. gcid: car_rental_agency. How often are the category lists updated? 

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Update Category Lists

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
They do not update very often but we can pass along the suggestion. You are saying that car_rental_agency is missing from the German list?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That's correct.
https://developers.google.com/my-business/content/categories
categories_de_DE.csv

Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I have filed the request..

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi @Yext Ops,

The categoryId field value "gcid:car_rental_agency" is a valid category ID because its accepted name field of the Category object for languageCode “de” is "Autovermietung", which is found in common categories as well as the category file categories_de_DE.csv in the category list. Please note that the category ID "gcid:car_service" maps to the same category name "Autovermietung" for languageCode “de”. For some other language codes such as “de_CH” in category file categories_de_CH.csv, this category ID has a unique category name. @Mike Blumenthal, I agree that the list of available categories does not update very often and may change at any time. Thanks for the help!

For more information about guidelines for categories, please check out this section of an article in the Google My Business Help Center.

Thanks,

Terry

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Terry,

Thank you for the explanation. This makes sense but we're still unclear how we would know which ids are acceptable or not in a given country (without trying every one). We're assuming the full list of accepted category codes for Germany (DE) is included in categories_de_DE.csv,. In fact your documentation says this: "For a list of valid category IDs, and the mappings to their human readable names, see the category list." However, you are saying that there are additional category codes (like gcid: car_rental_agency) that are not in the file but are acceptable because they translate to something similar as another category that exists in the file (gcid:car_service). Unfortunately, we have no way to know how you translate each gcid and such cannot make this connection. So, on our end, we are filtering out category ids if they are not in your list of acceptable ids for that given country.

Can you update the category list to make it comprehensive of all acceptable category ids for that given language_country? Or can you some how help us make the connection so that we know gcid: car_rental_agency and gcid:car_service are interchangeable? Furthermore, if you have a set of common categories that are accepted across all countries, it would be great to know their gcids!

Thanks!

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Hi @Yext Ops,

The category list is still always going to be the best place to get the list of the most up to date stable business categories for all languages. We’ll look into better unifying category IDs across languages in the future to help improve the customer experience.

Thanks, 

The Google My Business API team

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hey @Terry W  sorry for chiming in here with a little delay (Thanks to @Mike Blumenthal hinting me on this thread.

Was yesterday traveling back by train from Belgium to Germany with a lousy internet connection so I couldn't react fast enough. 

As a German TC lemme please add my two cents to the issue.

For me its a kind of "double"-bug in the category file categories_de_DE.csv

While in categories_en_US.csv there are two relevant  gcid parameters:

gcid:car_rental_agency (=>"Car Rental Agency")

and 

gcid:car_service (=>"Car Service")

The "first bug" is:

the first parameter (gcid:car_rental_agenc) is missing completely in categories_de_DE.csv 

and the

The "second bug" is:

the second parameter (gcid:car_service) is mistranslated to "Autovermietung"

No one would translate "car service" to "Autovermietung" or vice versa.

Its btw the same for categories_de_AT.csv and categories_de_AT.csv Li or categories_de_LU.csv

Only in  categories_de_CH.csv the parameter   gcid:car_rental_agency is available and correctly translated to "Autovermietungsagentur"

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

Thanks @Mike Blumenthal and @Helmut Geissler for detailing your discoveries on this issue. We’ll include your info in the ticket we file internally and update this community when we’ve enhanced this capability in the API.

Thanks,

The Google My Business API team