Guide Me
star_border

Trying to find out if GMB API is something I should use

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm working for a small marketing company in the Netherlands where we manage the GMB listings of several small business. I'm following any news surrounding GMB and was reading up on the GMB Api because it would give us access to 18 months of historical data instead of 90 days.

I am however not entirely sure if I understand how it works, and what it's for (the API). I've been trying to find answers but can't really pinpoint what I'm looking for. Therefore I would like to post my questions here in the hope that somebody can inform my unknowing self about what's what.

- Where do I access the data from the API. Am I required to use purpose built software to retrieve data? Or is the data also visible in the client's Search Console or from Google API console?

- The way I've been operating is that I create a unique GMB account for every client to access Google Search Console and Google My Business for them. Can I access all the data for these businesses from one account that I would use for Google API console? Or would I need to gain access with every account that has access to a GMB listing?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Erik

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Erik V
March 2017

Re: Trying to find out if GMB API is something I should use

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi @Erik V,

The Google My Business API is a programming interface that allows developers to write applications to manage Google My Business account and location data. If you are looking to write an applications to manage Google My Business data, can sign up for the Google My Business API. Please note, access to the API should only be requested by companies directly developing an application using the API.

Since you are managing several small businesses, if your client already has a Google My Business account, they can add your agency account as a manager to their individual location(s) or their business account and if not, they should create a Google My Business account (and business account if applicable) and then add your agency account as a manager to their individual location(s) or their business account.

Yes, you can access all the data for your businesses from one account. You can just use a single set of OAuth 2.0 credentials for access to your account and location data in each different Google Account. For separation of access to your Google My Business data in different Google Accounts, all you need to do is to generate and store a separate OAuth 2.0 access token for each Google Account that you use for managing locations in Google My Business.

For generating separate OAuth 2.0 access tokens for each Google Account, when you use your whitelisted project’s credentials to obtain an OAuth 2.0 access token for authentication via the Google My Business API, you should be logging in with your specific Google Account. When this token is provided and you are making API calls, you will be able to view and manage all the existing locations within that specific account.

Since you are planning to use the Google My Business API, please note that we are currently only targeting tech-savvy chains and third parties which manage Google My Business data for access to the API. Applicants must also meet minimum feature requirements and product guidelines. Please check out the Prerequisites page of our Google Developers site to learn more about requesting access to the API.

Please let us know if you have any other questions about the Google My Business API.

Thanks,

Shalini, Google My Business API team

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Erik V
March 2017

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi @Erik V,

The Google My Business API is a programming interface that allows developers to write applications to manage Google My Business account and location data. If you are looking to write an applications to manage Google My Business data, can sign up for the Google My Business API. Please note, access to the API should only be requested by companies directly developing an application using the API.

Since you are managing several small businesses, if your client already has a Google My Business account, they can add your agency account as a manager to their individual location(s) or their business account and if not, they should create a Google My Business account (and business account if applicable) and then add your agency account as a manager to their individual location(s) or their business account.

Yes, you can access all the data for your businesses from one account. You can just use a single set of OAuth 2.0 credentials for access to your account and location data in each different Google Account. For separation of access to your Google My Business data in different Google Accounts, all you need to do is to generate and store a separate OAuth 2.0 access token for each Google Account that you use for managing locations in Google My Business.

For generating separate OAuth 2.0 access tokens for each Google Account, when you use your whitelisted project’s credentials to obtain an OAuth 2.0 access token for authentication via the Google My Business API, you should be logging in with your specific Google Account. When this token is provided and you are making API calls, you will be able to view and manage all the existing locations within that specific account.

Since you are planning to use the Google My Business API, please note that we are currently only targeting tech-savvy chains and third parties which manage Google My Business data for access to the API. Applicants must also meet minimum feature requirements and product guidelines. Please check out the Prerequisites page of our Google Developers site to learn more about requesting access to the API.

Please let us know if you have any other questions about the Google My Business API.

Thanks,

Trying to find out if GMB API is something I should use

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Shalini,

Thank you for your answer and the clarification. I now believe that at this stage getting access to the Google My Business API would be premature for our company. It might be an option for us in the future. Thanks again!

Regards,

Erik

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi @Erik V

Sure, please feel free to reapply for the Google My Business API access when your software is ready to manage Google My Business data.

Thanks,