My Business
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
For developers who are using the Google My Business API to manage locations
Guide Me
star_border

The specified address cannot be located.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I'm trying to send new business / location to my business using the API. The problem is that I have some addresses that are apparently valid but are returning errors from the API.

Example:

Luz Shopping, Avda. Escandinavia, Marchanudo Alto, Cádiz, 11408, Jerez de la Frontera, Spain

Or even:

Avda. Escandinavia S/N, Marchanudo Alto, Cádiz, 11408, Jerez de la Frontera, Spain

Are returning the following error:

{ "error": { "code": 400, "message": "Request contains an invalid argument.", "status": "INVALID_ARGUMENT", "details": [ { "@type": "type.googleapis.com/google.mybusiness.v3p1.ValidationError", "errorDetails": [ { "code": 1100, "field": "address", "message": "The specified address cannot be located." } ] } ] } }

I have the same problem with a lot of addresses and seems like the problem is that the address does not contain a street number.

What can I do? 

Thanks!

David.

UPDATE: I forgot to mention that the second version of the address has been obtained via google geocoder.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: The specified address cannot be located.

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi @David R,

Please make sure the address you entered is up to date and contains no extraneous information. The 400 Bad Request error with the message "The specified address cannot be located." that typically happens when the system cannot geocode the specified address, you can provide the correct latitude/longitude values in a LatLng object when creating a new location via the API to fix this error. Please note that the latlng field is read-only and cannot be updated once the location is created.

Thanks,

The Google My Business API team

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Shalini, thank you for your response!

We're already sending the LatLng data in all the requests. BTW, we still have the same problem with the addresses. I think the problem is related with the street_number. In Spain, there are a lot of addresses (valid) without street_number. For example, in shopping centers / Mall.

Examples (se the address for these businesses):

- https://www.google.es/maps/place/Worten+Las+Palmas+-+Atl%C3%A1ntico/@27.8443642,-15.4425941,17z/data...

- https://www.google.es/maps/place/Worten+Toledo/@39.8628301,-3.9766447,17z/data=!3m2!4b1!5s0xd6a09703...

- https://www.google.es/maps/place/Worten+Zamora/@40.7363845,-5.3186111,8z/data=!4m8!1m2!2m1!1sworten+...

And so on, there are a lot of them, also for other different businesses...

The problem is that these addresses are valid. We are able to save them from the MyBusiness UI and they are even returning the expected result when we try to geocode them via Google Geocoder (lat/lng and also extra address information). But we cannot send them via API, we are always getting the 'The specified address cannot be located' error when the street_number is missing (or even when we're sending S/N as a street number).

So, we've checked it and seems like the API requires to send a "street number" in the request, but these addresses do not have a street_number. Example:

Centro comercial Luz del Tajo. Avenida Rio Boladiez, s/n, 45007 Toledo

What can we do? Is this a limitation/bug with MyBusiness API for Spanish addresses?

Thanks!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello @Shalini S, hello @David R,

we have the same Problem with our german addresses. We manage 30,000 locations in Google My Business and have to update the locations very often. Some addresses doesn't have and need any street number (like in the image below). 2017-02-27 14_20_15-POI-API Management Interface.png

I think there is something wrong in the API? How can we solve the problem?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Just because a listing has the address, oddly enough, it doesn't mean Google accurately maps them. I'm surprised, though, that you got an address from the geocoder, but it doesn't map. 

To verify if Google can geocode the address, you can try a search on Maps. For [Centro Comercial Atlántico Vecindario, Calle Adargoma, 35110 Santa Lucía de Tirajana, Palmas], you'll note that Google doesn't properly geocode it as an address, but uses the text of the address as keywords to search for business listings. 

You'll want to add the address as a location to Google Maps through community edits to get the address to be properly recognized. 

Joel Headley, Google My Business Top Contributor
Find me on: Twitter

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hi @POI-Sparkasse,

If you are certain that the address you entered is up to date and contains no extraneous information, and you are still getting the request contains an invalid argument error with the message "The specified address cannot be located." that typically happens when the system cannot geocode the specified address. You can fix this geocode error by dropping a pin for your business location through the Google My Business UI or providing Lat/Lng on location creation.

Please make sure you always include a fieldMask for specific fields when you are updating a location to avoid overwriting data inadvertently.

Thanks,

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Note that the suggestion from @Shalini S will help to get the listing added to GMB, but doesn't solve the underlying problem, which is, Google doesn't have the right base map information to find the specified address. 

Ideally, you'd want to fix the root of the problem than simply getting the listing added to Maps. 

Joel Headley, Google My Business Top Contributor
Find me on: Twitter

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How can one address this (no pun intended) through the API? We are migrating location extensions from AdWords to Google My Business where location extensions were used to work on AdWords are now rejected by GMB.

Here's an example address that is recognized by Google Maps but is rejected by GMB: 100 Dawg Drive, Suite 100, Starkville, MS 39759

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Any other solution here? We would like to fix it via API. Using the UI is not a solution for us.

For example; What address should we use to update this business via API: https://www.google.com/maps?cid=7820384196215858886. The existent address on Maps is not accepted from the API (). I've tried with and without fieldMask and it doesn't work either way.

Is there any way to update these from the API? We need these for an Adwords location extensions campaign.

Google Employee
# 10
Google Employee

Hi @David R,

We are looking into this and we’ll get back to you with a solution soon. Meanwhile we suggest you use the Google My Business UI to update your location if you get this error again. Thanks for your patience!

Thanks,