AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
For developers who are using the Google My Business API to manage locations
Guide Me
star_border

Testing reviews API

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi, 

We're planning to test the /reviews endpoint on the GMB api and were wondering if there's a suggested way to set up a test environment. We do not have access to any business that is verified on GMB (and hence can be reviewed) and wouldn't want to test with a live business.

What is the suggested way to go about this? Do we need to set up a dummy GMB business, ask for verification, and post test reviews and replies to it to test the API flow?

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Testing reviews API

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi @Ashesh A,

We don't provide a sandbox environment for testing purposes including testing review operations. Please perform any tests with unverified locations in your whitelisted project. According to our guidelines for representing your business on Google, creating a successful listing that won’t be suspended requires avoiding prohibited content, accurately reflecting your business, and complying with the rest of the policies. Therefore, you are forbidden to create a dummy business listing and try to verify it.

Reviews are only valuable when they are honest and unbiased, and those that aren’t may be removed. Read more in our review posting guidelines. If someone sees a review that’s inappropriate or that violates our policies, he/she can flag it for removal. Therefore, we don’t recommend you perform any tests using fake reviews.

We suggest you perform any review operations on real reviews for a verified location via the Google My Business API, and check that the isVerified boolean field of the LocationState object in the specified location is true since any review operation is only valid if the location is verified.

Thanks,

The Google My Business API team