For developers who are using the Google My Business API to manage locations
Guide Me
star_border

Testing GMB Real-time Notifications

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We're putting the finishing touches on our implementation of the Google My Business real-time notifications. 

We can create, delete and check subscriptions using the methods in the GMB API. Our topics and subscriptions are set up correctly in the Cloud portal and test notifications are delivered as expected to out endpoint using the PubSub test tools in the portal. We also worked closely with Cloud Support to use appropriate commands in the Cloud Shell to insure there were no issues in the PubSub pipeline.

Yet we did not receive notifications when adding new reviews to the a (verified) business page. This had us baffled. All components appeared to be correct. All tests worked separately, yet the end-to-end process failed. Cases were filed with GMB and Cloud Support.

After several extremely frustrating days, we finally saw that the new reviews were being filtered. They were visible to the review author, but the review count did not increase and the new review was not visible on the business page. We're assuming that since the reviews were filtered, notifications were not triggered. We were finally able to work around the problem by getting outside beta tester to help. By a stroke of luck, our implementation just happened work right out of the gate.

I'm looking for information on better ways to test while we're in development. There *must* be a better way. Are there guide lines anywhere? Some test-specific options in a query or in post data? Any info would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Testing GMB Real-time Notifications

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi @Ron L,

Unfortunately, we don't provide a sandbox environment for testing purposes including testing review operations and GMB Real-time Notifications.

Please do let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks,

Shalini, Google My Business API team