For developers who are using the Google My Business API to manage locations
Guide Me
star_border

Service Account access vs. Admin status and GMB API

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In terms of using the GMB API capabilities on an ongoing basis for Location and client Account mgmt, what differences exist, if any, between:

a) having the user grant access to our application once (following an OAuth 2 login), and then utilizing the API via a service account (as described here: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-My-Business-API/API-Acces-with-PHP/m-p/822101#M1374), (ie. subsequent accesses done by impersonating the user)

vs.

b) obtaining an OAuth 2 authentication, and then requesting admin status from the user for his account and/or location for our application, and then performing subsequent operations via the API using our account with admin status on the user's Location.

Trying to understand which is the right approach as our application grows to handle many client users with many Locations.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Service Account access vs. Admin status and GMB API

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi @David L,

a) This approach is basically used when you build a service account application to manage Google My Business data. The Google OAuth 2.0 system supports server-to-server interactions such as those between a web application and a Google service. For this scenario you need a service account, which is an account that belongs to your application instead of to an individual end user. Your application calls Google APIs on behalf of the service account, so users aren't directly involved. Please checkout the required steps you should take for the service account application to work with the Google My Business API.

b) In the Google My Business API, managers for business accounts and locations are referred to as admins. If any company has a whitelisted project to access the Google My Business API, they can add you as a manager to manage their account and locations. Please note, Owners, managers, and communications managers all have different levels of access to the listing.

Thanks,

The Google My Business API team