For developers who are using the Google My Business API to manage locations
Guide Me
star_border

PATCH requests for specific locations trigger invalid address errors

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Over the past few weeks, I have been struggling to get the GMB API to accept PATCH requests for certain locations in an account I manage. The API has begun to emit errors in response to certain addresses (these addresses were not problems in the past). In each case, I have tried to resolve the error by manually setting the map pin in the GMB web UI, but subsequent requests to edit the same location always cause the error to recur.

I have attempted to investigate each of these addresses to see whether any changes to it are necessary, but in every case I can find corroboration that the address I'm using appears to be correct given the addresses of other businesses nearby. For example, one location I manage has the address 6490 Trading Sq, Haymarket, VA 20169. There are several other locations near it that have similar addresses (e.g. this Wal-Mart and this Starbucks), so I don't see what the problem is. What do I have to do in order to be able to edit this location successfully?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: PATCH requests for specific locations trigger invalid address errors

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi @Max C,

If you are certain that the address you entered is up to date and contains no extraneous information, and you are still getting the errors and unable to update your location address that typically happens when the system cannot geocode the specified address. You can fix this geocode error by dropping a pin for your business location through the Google My Business UI or providing Lat/Lng on location creation.

Please make sure you always include a fieldMask for specific fields when you are updating a location to avoid overwriting data inadvertently.

Thanks,

The Google My Business API team

PATCH requests for specific locations trigger invalid address errors

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If I manually set a pin, will any subsequent PATCH request that includes the address fields trigger the same error again, even if the address fields contain the same values as the previous time?