For developers who are using the Google My Business API to manage locations
Guide Me
star_border

Managing multiple businesses through the APIs

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We've requested access to the Google My Business API as an Agency to handle multiple businesses and their locations.

Where can I see what type of access do we have?

Is there documentation on how to handle locations as an Agency? I went through the docs, but couldn't find examples or guides.

Any references on how to handle multiple locations would be appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Managing multiple businesses through the APIs

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Eugen, 

Google My Business locations part of the forum may help you! https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Businesses-with-10-Locations/bd-p/Businesses_with_10_Locat... .In terms of best practices of management, some of the help articles and forum posts on GMBL should help. 

The API docs you receive once you're approved will tell you what you can and cannot do via API on GMB. From memory, there isn't really a list of 'features' you'll be able to read out easily but it's a stable and well supported API. Harder part will be developing your platform or services off the API anyways! 

Given the volume of usage and users Google has, doing a good job of managing GMB can drive a ton of value for your agency's clients so it's a great opportunity if they've not done something in this area before. As such, there are 3rd party platforms that manage agency and their client's GMB and other network listings as their core business. Some are best suited to SMB Mom and Pop, other tackle enterprise multi-location brands. Each has a way (via API powered tech they've built or a professional services they provide) of tackling GMB on behalf of those they contract with. They'll then differenciate amongst themselves based on more specific capabilities, reporting, service levels and cost. Some are more of the DIY tool, some manage GMB e2e.

Hope this is somewhat helpful! Feel free to add me on LinkedIn if you'd like to chat more about getting up and running.

Re: Managing multiple businesses through the APIs

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi @Eugen T,

Since you are working with your clients to manage their business location data, we granted API access to your company as an agency. We suggest you should use your whitelisted project with a single set of OAuth 2.0 credentials across multiple Google Accounts. You do not need to create any additional projects or OAuth 2.0 credentials for your client's top-level Google Accounts in Google My Business since we're only whitelisting one project per company. Please read through this Accepted Solution for using a single set of OAuth 2.0 credentials for separate Google Accounts. When you use your whitelisted project’s credentials to obtain an OAuth 2.0 access token for authentication via the Google My Business API, you should be logging in with your specific Google Account. When this token is provided and you are making API calls in your script, you will be able to view and manage all the existing locations within that specific account. You should repeat this process with a single set of OAuth 2.0 credentials for your separate Google Accounts to obtain a token for each Google Account.

Business accounts are recommended when you need to share access to a large set of locations with a group of people in a single Google Account, all of whom need access to that entire set of locations. Please check out the best practices for using Business Accounts with Google My Business locations.

Please check out this Accepted Solution to set up your service account application for different Google Accounts. Please make sure that you have requested user consent and specified the user to impersonate for the Google Account to access its Google My Business data.

Thanks,

The Google My Business API team