AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
For developers who are using the Google My Business API to manage locations
Guide Me
star_border

Locations not appearing on a unverified personal account

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I've just had my project whitelisted. I can connect to he API and if I aks the API for my account_the answer is:

"name": "accounts/blablablaID"

"type": "PERSONAL"

"state": "status": "UNVERIFIED"

When I try to list the locations the answer is:

b'{}\n'

but the gmail account associated to this project has more than 25 locations and I can read all its information on Google My Business web.

Is it mandatory to have a Business account?

Is it mandatory to have it verified?

Am I looking in the wrong direction?

What can I do to see the locations through the API?

Regards 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

It isn't mandatory to have a business account.

The account doesn't have to be verified (this is a feature for bulk uploads only).

To list the locations, have you tried using the OAuth playground? It is pretty useful to make sure you've got the syntax right. The documentation isn't quite correct in all cases. 

Joel Headley, Google My Business Top Contributor
Find me on: Twitter

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Joel,

Thanks for your answer.

I've tried OAuth playground and everything is ok, I get accounts, locations... but, using the same sintax with my service account I get a different account name and no locations. It seems as if the service account is linked to another GMB account.

Is it possible?

Thank you

Re: Locations not appearing on a unverified personal account

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi @David C,

For using a service account to access the Google My Business account and location data on behalf of a particular end user, you should request user consent for that end user’s Google Account only once. You can perform this process during the OAuth 2.0 installed application flow or using OAuth 2.0 Playground. When you prepare to make authorized API calls using the service account, you specify the user to impersonate by specifying the email address of the user’s Google Account for access to their Google My Business data. Please check out this Accepted Solution for setting up a service account application.

For sharing access to a large set of locations with a group of people, please also check out the best practices for using Business Accounts with Google My Business locations in the FAQ.

Thanks,

Shalini, Google My Business API team

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi David,

I think @Shalini S basically covers it, but I just want to follow up, since you didn't reply saying the issue is resolved. 

The business account acts as a separate account. Google likens them to "folders", but that isn't quite right. It is essentially a special case of a Google account, but without an email address associated with it. You can add admins to the business account, but an email address that admins a listing and admins the business account, doesn't mean the listing is also part of that business account. 

Go to the GMB desktop interface, select the business account in question (switch account) and then see the listings in the account. If you have no listings in the business account, then when the API returns with nothing on the list call, you know you're getting the expected result.

Joel Headley, Google My Business Top Contributor
Find me on: Twitter