Guide Me
star_border

Limitation in creating new GMB locations when street name has abbrevations

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Team,

When I provide abbreviations in address (e.g.: street provided as 'Bamberger Str. 72' which as '.' in it), I could not be able to create a new location until '.' is replaced with complete address.

We use Google Geocoding to geocode the address. The above mentioned street is accepted while geocoding, but it is not considered valid for creating a new location in GMB. Why does the functionality vary? Can we sync gecoding and gmb so that both follow the same constraints so that we want to improve the input data quality at the time of geocoding itself before reaching the GMB.

Kindly provide some insights on this.

Thanks and Regards,

Bharath

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Limitation in creating new GMB locations when street name has abbrevations

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello @anumula b

being myself a German I know there are tons of streets im Germany named as "Bamberger str."

And I therefore tried creating a (fake) test business in my own village - no problem at all:

and here we go:

Screenshot 2016-09-26 at 14.20.41.png

But I also know there are some cties havin not only one "Bamberger Str."

As it happens in Berlin:

Screenshot 2016-09-26 at 14.24.40.png 

on of both is this  https://goo.gl/maps/7LYEWnJNPjT2 and the other one is this https://goo.gl/maps/rj6quGeMAnT2 Supposed oyu try to create your business in Berlin oyu need to specify the correct one of course.

Can you provide bit more details about your streets and their  city in question to have a closer  look?

Re: Limitation in creating new GMB locations when street name has abbrevations

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi @anumula b,

I successfully created a location via the Google My Business API with the following address including the “Str.” abbreviation for “Street”:

Bamberger Str. 72, Breitengüßbach, DE

Please check the detailed error message with the ValidationError for the specific cause of your POST request error when creating a new location. Please note that you should always enter the complete and exact street address for your location in Google My Business. Learn more about business information guidelines for address

If you are certain that the address with abbreviations you entered is accurate and up-to-date according to the current Maps data, and you are still getting the 400 Bad Request error with the message "The specified address cannot be located." that typically happens when the system cannot geocode the specified address, you can provide the correct latitude/longitude values in a LatLng object when creating a new location via the API to fix this error. Please note that the latlng field is read-only and cannot be updated once the location is created.

If you have already created the location and you are sending a PATCH request to update the location via the API, please use a fieldMask and confirm that the fieldMask does not include address and latlng. You can fix this geocode error by dropping a pin for your business location through the Google My Business UI.

In addition, you can fix and report incorrect business information on Google if you find any data discrepancies between your business listings and the business information on Google. You can also post your questions on the Basics for Business Owners board for more help in fixing business information discrepancies on Google.

Thanks,

Terry