For developers who are using the Google My Business API to manage locations
Guide Me
star_border

Introducing Google My Business API v4.1

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

We’re happy to announce the launch of Google My Business API v4.1. Here are some key new features and updates in this release.

Business Description (From the business)
Businesses can now add a business description to describe their business and share with users the unique story of their business and offerings. The description appears on the knowledge panel on mobile and desktop search.

Description.png

Customer provided photos and videos

In addition to the existing “Media” endpoints, we are now introducing an additional “customer media” endpoint which allows users to retrieve customer provided photos and videos on their locations. Along with this, we’ve also introduced a new notification type NEW_CUSTOMER_MEDIA to alert opted-in users about newly posted media on their business locations.  

Admin Management
We’ve introduced new APIs to accept, and decline account and location related invitations.

Opening Date
Businesses can provide the date that their location opened for business. Currently this is limited to days in the past. Based on the businesses opening date Google may add visual Highlights on the knowledge panel or allow users to filter for recently opened places on Google Search and Maps.

openingdate.png 

Offer Posts

Small businesses using third-party platforms to post on Google through the API can now create Offer Posts with a coupon code or an online link to redeem an offer. These Posts are visible to users on the Posts tab of the business listing on mobile and on Google My Business websites. Posts may also be shown on Maps, Search, and the Overview tab of business listings based on various signals.

Posts appear on your Google business listing. Customers can tap to read the full post, and they can also share your post with their friends directly from Google.

Description.png 

v3.3 Deprecation Notice

v3.3 of the API has been deprecated at this time, and will sunset on May 10, 2018. See here for schedule.

To learn more about the Google My Business API and to apply for access, visit our developer page. Full documentation of changes for this release including backward-incompatible changes can be found here. Questions or feedback? Contact the API team on the Google My Business API Forum.

The Google My Business API Team

2 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I would love to use the new Business Description feature.

But I only find the v4.0 api version for PHP.

Could you provide a link or something to the new 4.1 api for PHP?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Is it documented any where if a location is allowed to edit there description?  We are getting "You cannot edit the description for a lodging location." for Hotels.

/Marcus

Re: Introducing Google My Business API v4.1

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi @Carl-Uwe W,

You can find the Google My Business API v4.1 client libraries for PHP here: https://developers.google.com/my-business/samples/

If you have any additional questions for me, please feel free to let me know and I'd be happy to further assist!

Thanks,

Shalini

The Google My Business API team

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi @Marcus O,

Unfortunately, we currently don’t have any documentation on this.

Thanks,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks a lot!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Great update! Are there any plans to give access in the API to respond to the Questions and Answers for a business?

I have attached a screenshot for reference as to what I am talking about. This would be extremely helpful if we could get access and be able to respond to these via the API!

screenshot-mail.google.com-2018.04.16-19-47-41.png

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

Hi @Alex K,

We’ll announce any changes or new features of the Google My Business API when they become available on both this board and the Google Developers site. Please stay tuned for updates!

Thanks,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is there still a location limit on the offer posts?

Google Employee
# 10
Google Employee

Hi @Jacob S,

Yes, any business or brand with fewer than 10 locations (as determined by our internal chain detection) can use the API to post on Google. Brands with >= 10 locations are not eligible for posting at this time.

Thanks,