1.7K members online now
For developers who are using the Google My Business API to manage locations.
Guide Me
favorite_border

Introducing Google My Business API v3.2 with location insights

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Today we are introducing location insights in the Google My Business API. Location insights let third-party application developers and large multi-location brands programmatically access location insights, like total number of searches, views, and actions. The new tools help business owners track and analyze where and how customers find them on Google.

The insights API allows developers to generate the following reports:

How customers find your listing

• Direct queries: How many customers searched for your business name or address directly.
  • Discover queries: How many customers searched for a category, product, or service that you offer, and your listing appeared.

Where customers find you on Google

• Views on Maps: How many customers found your business on Google Maps.
  • Views on Search: How many customers found your business on Google Search.

Customer actions

• Visits to Website: How many customers visited your website.
  • Clicks to Phone: How many customers called your business. (This metric can be further broken down to see number of clicks by time of day and day of week.)
  • Clicks for Driving Directions: How many customers requested driving directions to your business.

Driving Directions Requests

• This report provides the top 10 places from which customers request driving directions  to your business location.

All of the above metrics (with the exception of driving directions requests) may be available for the last 18 months as daily or total aggregates. Driving directions requests will only be available as an aggregate over a 7, 30, or 90 day period. Also, insights are currently limited to a batch size of 10 locations per call.

You can learn more about these insights here.

In addition to insights, the following updates are included with this release:

Google Update Notifications

Over the next few weeks we will be adding “Google Update” as a new notification type that users can subscribe to in addition to the current “New Review” notification.

API v2 Sunset

API v2 was sunset on January 5th and will retired over the next few weeks. If you are still calling v2, we strongly encourage you to migrate to v3 as soon as possible. The full deprecation schedule can be found here.

API Limits

API create and update limits have now been split and quotas have been updated. Existing users will notice an increase in their daily read and update quotas and a decrease in their create quotas. More information about usage limits can be found here.

Finally, we encourage you to please take a look at the API policies as they have changed with the introduction of new features.

Full documentation for this release can be found at:

https://developers.google.com/my-business/reference/rest/index

Questions or feedback? Contact the API team on the Google My Business API Forum.

Happy tracking!

The Google My Business API Team

2 Expert replyverified_user

Level 1
# 2
Level 1

This is awesome news! Thanks for the update.

Level 3
# 3
Level 3

Great release Andrew and Team! Insights via the API is a game changer for our customers who can now view Google stats along with other local sites stats in our dashboard!  Excited to share real-time Google Updates too!

Level 1

Dear support,

We just tried to use this (great) new functionality, but can't seem to have any results back. 

We tried the same type of call as in the blog post (2 metrics, 1 location and a 3 days time range 5 days before today) and we never get anything back.

Any idea what we might be doing wrong ? 

Txs,

Pierre

Re: Introducing Google My Business API v3.2 with location insights

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi @Pierre Alexandre L,

Please make sure you perform the business location insights method for a verified location via the Google My Business API, and check that the isVerified boolean field of the LocationState object in the specified location is true since the business location insights method is only valid if the location isverified.

Thanks,

The Google My Business API team

Level 1

Hi Shalini,

We are making the calls on verified locations (accounts/111012394909089803792/locations/5747542736358362696) but we still get no results back although we have insight in the UI.

accounts/111012394909089803792/locations/5747542736358362696 - Location Name: EXKi - Location Key: {"placeId":"ChIJAzaTEIbEw0cRT6PUUQ5mT4w","plusPageId":"111596537056913499947"} - LocationState{"canDelete":true,"canUpdate":true,"isGoogleUpdated":true,"isPublished":true,"isVerified":true}

Pierre

Level 1
# 7
Level 1

Unable to successfully pull insights with a verified account etc.  Please see my submission and the response I get.  Please advise.  Thanks.  

SUBMITTED:

"https://mybusiness.googleapis.com/v3/accounts/112048802157428628562/locations:reportInsights"

{
"locationNames": [
"accounts/112048802157428628562/locations/9398762168111078963"
],
"basicRequest": {
"metricRequests": [
{
"metric": "QUERIES_DIRECT"
},
{
"metric": "QUERIES_INDIRECT"
}
],
"timeRange": {
"startTime": "2016-10-12T01:01:23.045123456Z",
"endTime": "2017-01-10T23:59:59.045123456Z"
}
}
}

RESPONSE: 

9:20 AM 1/13/2017
{
"error": {
"code": 400,
"message": "Invalid JSON payload received. Unknown name \"location_names\" at 'location': Cannot find field.\nInvalid JSON payload received. Unknown name \"basic_request\" at 'location': Cannot find field.",
"status": "INVALID_ARGUMENT",
"details": [
{
"@type": "type.googleapis.com/google.rpc.BadRequest",
"fieldViolations": [
{
"field": "location",
"description": "Invalid JSON payload received. Unknown name \"location_names\" at 'location': Cannot find field."
},
{
"field": "location",
"description": "Invalid JSON payload received. Unknown name \"basic_request\" at 'location': Cannot find field."
}
]
}
]
}
}

Level 1

Hi there, 

Any news on this new feature ? As mentionned belowed we can't seem to figure out to make this work ? 

We are making the calls on verified locations (accounts/111012394909089803792/locations/5747542736358362696) but we still get no results back although we have insight in the UI.

accounts/111012394909089803792/locations/5747542736358362696 - Location Name: EXKi - Location Key: {"placeId":"ChIJAzaTEIbEw0cRT6PUUQ5mT4w","plusPageId":"111596537056913499947"} - LocationState{"canDelete":true,"canUpdate":true,"isGoogleUpdated":true,"isPublished":true,"isVerified":true}

Kr, 

Pierre

Level 1
# 9
Level 1

Unfortunately haven't heard anything back yet.  I've also been running into other issues with myBusiness API such as getting back inconsistent number of reviews randomly.  Assuming there is an issue going on with the latest update.  

Re: Introducing Google My Business API v3.2 with location insights

Google Employee
# 10
Google Employee

Hi @Pierre Alexandre L & @Scorpion S,

Please make sure the request format and double quotes symbol are correct for the locationNames and basicRequest field in the reportInsights method while sending a HTTP request.

Please follow the HTML request below to see if it fixes the issue:

HTTP Method: POST  

Request URI:  https://mybusiness.googleapis.com/v3/accounts/account_name/locations:reportInsights

{
 "locationNames": [
   "accounts/account_name/locations/locationId",
 ],
 "basicRequest" : {
         "metricRequests": [
            {
              "metric": "QUERIES_DIRECT"
            },  
           {
              "metric": "QUERIES_INDIRECT"
            },