Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

Inconsistent location list entries since 2017-10-11

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

we've noticed that since a few days, there appears to be a delay between creating new locations and being able to retrieve them.

To give a bit of context, we have a small framework that we use in-house to automate some aspects of MyBusiness management for our clients, and we run daily integration tests for it.

Since October 11, these tests fail at the point where we insert a new location via accounts.locations.create and immediately after retrieve it using accounts.locations.list to check if it was created correctly—even though the location has been submitted successfully, it doesn't show up in the fetched list.

I've done some manual experimentation and found that it takes something between 5 and 10 seconds for a newly created location to appear in subsequent list requests. This is using version 3 of the API, by the way.

Is this a current issue that we can expect to be fixed, or something that will remain going forward? If the latter, is there any way to check if changes are pending to the location list?

Thanks for your feedback and best regards,
Dorian

2 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is somebody else also experiencing this? Any feedback from Google's side? Thanks.

Re: Inconsistent location list entries since 2017-10-11

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi @Dorian K,

This is working as intended, it takes some time for a newly created location to propagate through our system.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks,

The Google My Business API team

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Shalini,

first of all, thanks for your response. It would have been more helpful though if you had submitted your update as a separate post instead of an edit to the original one as thread participants won't get a notification for the latter.

Second, if this is intended behavior, I can't help but wonder why it changed from one day to another. But nevermind.

Is there a way for us to check whether there are any pending updates to the locations, besides just waiting a random amount of time?

Best regards,
Dorian

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi @Dorian K,

Any changes to the business information in Google My Business may be reviewed for quality before being published and may take up to 3 days to appear on Google.

Thanks,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Shalini,

now I'm a bit confused. I would expect that while a location entry is being reviewed, it will still be returned by a call to the list endpoint, but its locationState field will be set to isPendingReview (or hasPendingVerification etc.). Or am I misunderstanding the purpose of locationState?

Thanks and best regards,
Dorian

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Shalini,

could you confirm I am understanding the meaning of the locationState field correctly?

Thanks and best regards,

Dorian

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is there anyone in here that actually has some technical insights into the Google My Business API and is able to provide answers that go beyond posting a link to a support center article?

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

Hi @Dorian,

The locationState which has been mentioned in the question is not the state during location creation, rather related to business listing verification to manage your business information on Google Maps, Search, and other Google properties where,

isPendingReview indicates whether the review of the location is pending.

hasPendingVerification indicates whether the location has pending verification requests.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Deepa V,

thanks for your reply and the clarification about the locationState attribute. There's still the original question about newly created locations not showing up in a list response for a while, even though the create call returns 200 immediately. Could you shed light on whether that is intended behavior? If so, is there an upper limit for the time between creation and visibility of new locations?

Best regards,

Dorian