My Business
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
For developers who are using the Google My Business API to manage locations
Guide Me
star_border

How long do values persist in GoogleUpdated?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey guys,

Looking for some clarification around the behavior of GoogleUpdated.

How long to values typically persist here? Is it until they are addressed in the native UI?

If addressing them via the API, and I have a GoogleUpdated phone number, if I do a patch with a new value for phone number, will the GoogleUpdated value get dropped until the next time you compare my GMB phone number to other areas?

Or does the value persist until the phone number (in this example) jives with the phone number you have sourced somewhere else which originally created this conflict?

Many thanks,

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How long do values persist in GoogleUpdated?

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi @Patrick L,

Google updates persist in Google My Business until you review them in the UI by either accepting or discarding the Google updates. You can send a GET request via the API to retrieve the Google updated version of the specified location if the isGoogleUpdated boolean field value of the LocationState object is true for that location. However, even if you send a PATCH request to correct the business information to exactly what’s suggested by the Google updates, the Google updates may still show up in Google My Business if Google receives reports of incorrect or outdated information for a location. Therefore, you should always provide complete, accurate and up-to-date business information to Google so that these Google updates won’t appear on your Google My Business dashboard.

I hope this answers your questions.

Thanks,

Terry

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks Terry,

Appreciate the response. Was hoping that, by passing the exact same value in the patch as exists in the Google Updated field, this would be treated on your end as "accepting" the changes and dropping the GoogleUpdated flag for that field, so that users can manage this feature fully via the API.

I'm assuming then that, if we passed the exact data back in a PATCH, and then the user visits the native UI, the data in the "Data last provided" column and the "Published on Google" column will be the exact same, therefor potentially being confusing to the user?

Thanks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Terry,

Is this new behavior? This does not align with what we've seen in the past, and seems to contradict your team's previous advice in the old forum: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/my-business-api/google$20updates/my-business-api/RqZ0cRnU...

Please let us know as this affects our processes. As Patrick mentioned, it would be a big loss if we can no longer clear out Google Updates via the API.

Thanks!

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi @Patrick L & @Liz F,

I corrected my previous post for this topic to what I precisely mean.

When resolving Google updates:

• If you send a PATCH request via the Google My Business API and you haven't changed a particular field since your last update, Google My Business will ignore that field. We won't change your data, and we won’t accept or discard Google updates for that field.

• If you send a PATCH request via the Google My Business API and you have changed a field, we'll accept the new field value and overwrite both your old value and any Google update associated with it.

Sorry for the inconvenience and please let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,

Terry

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks @Terry W
Appreciate the response, just want to triple confirm I have the correct understanding.

Lets say, when polling our GMB location for googleUpdated values, we see that the address field has an update. If we send a patch request for this particular field, but the value we are passing is the same as the value currently present in our GMB location, will this result in point 1, or point 2? i.e. Is passing the the same value back to Google for a field that has a googleUpdated value, the equivalent of "rejecting" this GoogleUpdate and wiping the updated mask. (at least temporarily until you guys receive a report that would indicate the data may be incorrect/out of data again)

Apologies but just want to be sure I'm 100% clear.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Patrick L
May 2016

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Hi @Patrick L,

If you see that a particular field of the Address object for a location has a Google update and you send a PATCH request to update this location without a fieldmask to exclude this Address object field, regardless of whether you are passing for this field the same value you had before the Google update or the value of the Google update, the system will accept the Address object field value as a new field value and this PATCH request will overwrite both your old value and any Google update associated with this particular field as in bullet point 2.

You can override the Google updated version of the specified location by making further edits to the location with a PATCH API call via the Google My Business API. Please make sure the updated business information you provide is accurate.

Thanks,

Terry

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Excellent thanks @Terry W

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys,

im still a bit unclear on this topic :)

By which api call i can get the most recent version of a location (the version which is also on GoogleMap etc)?

GET LOCATION or GET GOOGLE UPDATED LOCATION?

Are the changes of GET GOOGLE UPDATED LOCATION are present in GET LOCATION at any point? Or other services and Google Maps just use GET GOOGLE UPDATED LOCATION if there a changes?

Google Employee
# 10
Google Employee

Hi @Frank K,

The getGoogleUpdated location method provides the most recent updated version of the specified location. If your locations are updated by Google, you’ll see them listed with a “Google updates” status. You should review the locations to accept, discard, or edit the Google updates if you have the “Google updates” listing status.

You can send a GET request to the :googleUpdated endpoint via the Google My Business API to retrieve the Google updated version of the specified verified location if a location is updated by Google, as indicated by the isGoogleUpdated boolean field in the LocationState object. The diffMask field in the response body of this request indicates the fields that Google updated for the specified location. You can override the Google updated version of the specified location by making further edits to the location with a PATCH API call via the API. Please make sure that the updated business information you provide is accurate and up-to-date.

Thanks,

The Google My Business API team