My Business
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
For developers who are using the Google My Business API to manage locations
Guide Me
star_border

How does Google account for a locations Timezone when returning/displaying data?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I had a question regarding how Google accounts for a locations TZ when displaying the data in their own portal as well as through the API:

Let's say I have a location that is based in Los Angeles. When I make a request to the API to get the MAPS_VIEWS between the 10th and 13th of Feb 2017, I see the following in the response: 

"dimensionalValues": [
            {
              "metricOption": "AGGREGATED_DAILY",
              "timeDimension": {
                "timeRange": {
                  "startTime": "2017-02-11T08:00:00Z"
                }
              },
              "value": "77"
            },
            {
              "metricOption": "AGGREGATED_DAILY",
              "timeDimension": {
                "timeRange": {
                  "startTime": "2017-02-12T08:00:00Z"
                }
              },
              "value": "44"
            }
]

The timezone returned is "America/Los_Angeles", which has the rawOffset -8. 

So, does this mean that the aggregated map views count for 2017-02-11 is 77 and 2017-02-12 is 44? That is what makes sense to me, however when I look at the insights through the GMB portal, I see that the aggregated map views count for 2017-02-11 is 44 and not 77. 

Basically, I want to know what sort of timezone conversion I should be doing on the startTime of the returned dimensionalValue in order to get the actual date corresponding to that metric value. Any guidance here?

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

How does Google account for a locations Timezone when returning/displaying data?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, any information here?

Re: How does Google account for a locations Timezone when returning/displaying data?

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi @Vishal J,

The aggregated map views count for 2017-02-11 is 77 and 2017-02-12 is 44 is correct. Daily aggregates will be based on the local midnight to midnight of a business.

For the mismatch between the GMB Portal and the API, our engineering team is taking a look into this and we will get back to you with an update.

Thanks,

The Google My Business API team

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Shalini,

Thank you for the response, ok we will move forward with that interpretation. Looking forward to the update!

Thanks,
Vishal

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Vishal J
March

Re: How does Google account for a locations Timezone when returning/displaying data?

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi @Vishal J,

It looks like the mismatch between the API and the UI was due to a bug in dealing with daylight savings time. A fix is in the works and should be out soon. The API data is correct.

Best,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Shalini,

Not related to this post but any chance you can look at https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-My-Business-API/Internal-error-encountered-for-driv... when you get a moment? Not quite sure what the best way to reach out for support is..

Thanks,

Vishal

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Hi @Vishal J,

We are investigating the issue you reported in your another thread and will get back to you soon. Thanks for your patience.

Thanks,

Shalini, Google My Business API team