Guide Me
star_border

Google My Business Api vs. Google Places API for 3rd Party

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi There,

I'm trying to understand how a 3rd party can use GMB API to pull reviews for clients vs. having to use Google Places API? What is the difference in using one vs. the other?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, Places API will not enable in-app response to reviews but does enable you to search for businesses in order to pull them (maybe publically for compt intel vs. needing a business to be an authenticated client of yours first before pulling reviews). May also be limited in their payload of content. There is strict guidelines around the use of the Google Places API by B2B businesses which in many cases make it an annual cost service. If you not above board with the use case from the outset, you risk access being revoked unexpectedly.  

IMO GMB API is far better for review management and once you're approved, as far as I know is free to integrate with. Full payloads, real-time, response enabled.

Just to round out, some other 'shadier' developers crawl Google itself pulling reviews into their dashboards - 100% avoid as this is in violation of Google's terms and if caught, can shut your product down overnight. You also will spend a lot of HR on babysitting those crawlers which all need to be updated as Google's UX evolves.

Hope this is helpful!

Re: Google My Business Api vs. Google Places API for 3rd Party

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi @Neel L,

The Google My Business API is a programming interface that allows developers to write applications to manage Google My Business account and location data but Google Places API retrieve read-only comprehensive information about the indicated place such as its complete address, phone number, user rating and reviews.

Third parties can pull reviews for their clients but they should not request access on behalf of their clients. Third parties should request access using a single project ID for their entire application. Have clients invite you to their existing Business Account as a manager. You can then access their account through your generated OAuth 2.0 Token.

Please let us know if you have any other questions about Google My Business API.

Thanks,

Shalini

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @shalini

After reading several documentation and this thread, I am almost convinced that Google My Business API is what we need. HOwever, you have one sentence in your response that I'm wondering if that would apply to 3rd party developers - "Have clients invite you to their existing Business Account as a manager."

Basically, we have a marketing mobile/web app. One of our feature allows our customers to read and respond to reviews on our app. I understand we need to implement oauth 2.0. What I'd like to know is do we also need to do this - Have clients invite you to their existing Business Account as a manager? I'm just a bit concern because we have a subscription model that anyone can just sign up to. We don't necessarily have a business relationship with all of them so it might be hard to ask them to invite us to their Business Account as a manager. 

Thank you so much. I look forward to hearing from you. 

Re: Google My Business Api vs. Google Places API for 3rd Party

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi @Harry A,

I have answered the same question in other thread. Please check out this response. 

Thanks,

Shalini, The Google My Business API team

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Harry, did you ever find out the best direction My Business API or Places API?  I'm going back and forth on best course of action on this as well.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Paul, I have yet to implement them but @shalini has been very helpful with the info she provided. You can view our conversation here - https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-My-Business-API/3rd-Party-Apps-for-Responding-to-Re...