My Business
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
For developers who are using the Google My Business API to manage locations
Guide Me
star_border

Google My Business API in reverse? Build a business directory site w/GMB listings based on criteria

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello! I understand that the GMB API is made to manage a company's business listings, but I'm interesting in finding a solution to the following problem and I'm hoping you could offer feedback/suggestions:

I want to build a business directory website that dynamically pulls business listings from GMB based on criteria (probably just geographic location) -- and ideally which would check for updates at regular (though not frequent) intervals. I don't want to "steal" the info, proper credit and links would be given along with each directory entry back to Google. I just want to utilize GMB to fully populate this new directory site and then allow contributors and visitors to add original content (comments, articles, etc.) so the site features original and quality content in addition to the basic BMG listing info.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this type of project? I would appreciate any guidance!

Thank you,

Ben

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google My Business API in reverse? Build a business directory site w/GMB listings based on crite

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi @Ben M,

We are still trying to resolve the issue you’ve brought up and will follow up soon with a response when your issue is resolved. Please stay tuned and thank you for your patience.

Thanks,

The Google My Business API team

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ben M
July 2016

Re: Google My Business API in reverse? Build a business directory site w/GMB listings based on crite

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi @Ben M,

The Google Places API supports querying business listings based on a given location and sounds like it would be a much better solution for your use case. The Google My Business API, on the other hand, is only for businesses and their authorized representatives to keep business details up to date across Google products.

Thanks,

The Google My Business API Team

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Andrew H, I feel a bit foolish because that seems obvious now -- I was barking up the wrong tree! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, and I'm REALLY excited to hear such a solution does exist .... if you look in the right place :)

Thankfully,
Ben