Guide Me
star_border

Getting a 403 when try to verify a business created with GMB API

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I'm trying to verify a business that was added using the GMB API to a business account I created.

When I try to verify if (check the checkbox that I'm authorized etc and hit "Verify") I just get a 403 error.

You can see some of the discussion I had in the GMB group (the non API one).

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Verification/Getting-403-error-when-trying-to-set-I-m-auth...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As mentioned in the thread I linked to, My GMB account trying to verfiy is a Google Apps for Work account so my guess is that there is something with a Google Apps for Work account and businesses created using the GMB API or something along that line.

Thanks,

Eran

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Getting a 403 when try to verify a business created with GMB API

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi @Eran S,

The 403 Forbidden error you are experiencing may be related to the 100-page limit. Please note that brand pages, local pages, and business accounts all count toward the page limit. We suggest you follow the best practices for using Business Accounts with Google My Business locations and request bulk verification that removes the 100-page limit for accounts if you manage ten or more locations of the same business.

If you think otherwise, please provide us with a specific locationId for the location in which you are experiencing this 403 Forbidden error while trying to verify the location.

Thanks,

Terry

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the answer.

We are an agency managing listings for our clients. Fact is not all have a Google account and even those that do have don't know how to perform the actual listing.

I thought that having the "I'm authorized to list this business" means agencies like us have a place to do so without limitations.
All of these businesses were added via the GMB API and I've verified with the GMB API group before using the API that the "best" way for us would be to create a single business account and have all businesses we list under that account.

For customers that do have a Gmail account we give administrative access so they can always edit things (if they don't want us to do so).

I did try (with the suggestion of someone from the GMB group) to add different accounts that can manage the business account and tried to verify businesses and got the 403.

We currently have ~1000 business under the same business account and we only started getting the 403 error long after the 100 page limit so I suspect it might be something else.

Here is a location ID that we are getting 403 for:

This is the error page URL (I hope the URL might have some additional relevant info):
https://business.google.com/u/3/add/pluspageupgrade/l/06592775032573613120?service=gmbl&hl=en&ppsrc=...

Thanks,
Eran

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Eran,

We'd like to remind you, as we mentioned to you in our prior product forum, that we do not support the use case you are describing for agencies.

Per our policies and guidelines, you should not be creating and owning the accounts to claim and verify your clients business listings - these are two areas that your clients must completely own and initiate. You should also not be asking them to share their account credentials.

Please advise your clients to set up business accounts and add you as a manager to their business account. We've also posted our best practice guidelines for using business accounts in the API documentation. 

Please ensure you are in compliance with our policies.

Thanks,

The Google My Business API team