For developers who are using the Google My Business API to manage locations
Guide Me
star_border

Getting Reviews for locations with review count > 200

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

When trying to paginate through reviews with the `nextPageToken`, the response will often not have any reviews on it (or a `nextPageToken`). Not just an empty array of reviews, but the reviews field is entirely gone. If the request is made again, reviews will show up. This is making it extremely hard to paginate, since to indicate there are no more pages, the `nextPageToken` is omitted, but that is no longer reliable, since 90% of the time if those fields are missing we just need to make the request again and we'll get back `reviews` and a `nextPageToken` (when appropriate). If it actually returned an error message that would be useful, since then we would know we should retry.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

When troubleshooting this issue, the first time I make the request for a specific page I get back no reviews. I make the exact same request one second later and I get reviews, and then if I keep making the request I get back reviews still. Once I let it sit for about ten minutes, the request returns no reviews again, but then the next request will.

Re: Getting Reviews for locations with review count > 200

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi @Jason B,

We are aware of some failures with pageToken of the reviews.list method when fetching the list of reviews for a specified location via the Google My Business API. We will update you in this thread once the issue has been resolved.

Thanks,

The Google My Business API team

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Shalini S, are there any updates on this issue? We're running into the same problem when trying to paginate through locations on accounts with more than 200 locations. This is a significant limitation. 

Re: Getting Reviews for locations with review count > 200

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi @Jason B,

Our team is still working on this issue. I will let you know as soon as I’ll have an update on this. Thanks for your patience!

Thanks,

The Google My Business API team