AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
For developers who are using the Google My Business API to manage locations
Guide Me
star_border

Get category of business in a certain location

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

From what I understand, GMB is made to manage your own business, but I was wondering if the API could also be used in a reversed way to find every business in certain location.

According to this thread

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-My-Business-API/Google-My-Business-API-in-reverse-B...

the proper API to use is Google Places but in my use case the information I what to retrieve is the GMB category which is not returned by Google Places

2.png

Here the field I would like to get via API is 'Corporate Office'. This field seem to be customed for every business and available only through GMB, am I wrong ?

What can I do to get a list of business category in a certain location, if it is possible ?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Clément

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Clément D
October 2016

Re: Get category of business in a certain location

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi @Clément D,

Yes, you can’t list every business in a certain place and get its business categories via the Google My Business API. You are only able to retrieve business listings that you own or manage in Google My Business via the API.

I suggest you use the Google Places API instead to retrieve read-only comprehensive information about the indicated place such as its complete address, phone number, user rating and reviews. For your cause, please check out the Place Types supported values for the types property in the Google Places API. Any questions that you may have for the Google Places API should be directed to its Support Options for Google Places API Web Service page.

Thanks,

Terry

View solution in original post

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi @Clément D,

Since we launched Google My Business API v3.1, you can now send a GET request to retrieve a list of business categories that contains valid category IDs and the mappings to their human-readable names. You can’t find a list of business categories based on the specified location. You can only find a list of business categories based on regionCode, languageCode, and searchTerm. Please note that the search for this request currently only matches the front of a category name (i.e. 'food' may return 'Food Court' but not 'Fast Food Restaurant').

The following is a sample GET request that should return the “Corporate Office” Category object as a valid business category when using the “Corporate Office” search term:

https://mybusiness.googleapis.com/v3/categories?regionCode=US&languageCode=en&searchTerm=Corporate+Office

Thanks,

Terry

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Terry W

Thanks for your reply.

Okay so if I want to list every business in a certain location (or let's say, in a country, city etc), and get their GMB category, it is impossible ?

Thanks for your help,

Clément

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Clément D
October 2016

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi @Clément D,

Yes, you can’t list every business in a certain place and get its business categories via the Google My Business API. You are only able to retrieve business listings that you own or manage in Google My Business via the API.

I suggest you use the Google Places API instead to retrieve read-only comprehensive information about the indicated place such as its complete address, phone number, user rating and reviews. For your cause, please check out the Place Types supported values for the types property in the Google Places API. Any questions that you may have for the Google Places API should be directed to its Support Options for Google Places API Web Service page.

Thanks,

Terry

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Terry W

Okay, thanks for your answers.

Clément