Guide Me
star_border

GMB API and Google+ pages

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm working with the GMB API and have some problems with the automatically generated Google+ pages.

As far as I know, from the answer to this question Get the associated Google page url , the Google+page should be automatically generated for locations being created via GMB API (for bulk verified accounts) and for those created and verifies via GMB UI.

Then there should be the plusPageId populated in the LocationKey.

Now I have several businesses where these Google+ pages seem to "disappear", they suddenly return a 404, and I cannot see why. Is there some way to get the information why a Google+ page doesn't exist anymore (via API or UI)?

And is there a way to create a new Google+ page, without deleting the location and creating a new one?

The way it is now, when trying to update the location with photos, it suddenly returns a 500 (i guess because there is no Google+ page anymore).

I already contacted the support team, where I have been told that Google+ pages will no longer be automatically generated when creating a location via GMB in the future, but I found no information about that. Could you give me an update for that aswell?

Thanks in advance,

Svenia

1 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Callum,

thanks for your reply!

The problem is, that I'm working with the GMB API and we want to update / create locations. That means address data, opening hours and photos.

Except for the photos, it would work without the Google+ page.

Usually we won't run into that problem, because the Google+ page is generated automatically when we create the location. But now the verified locations "loose" their Google+ page and the photo updates don't work anymore.

As far as I know, even when I would find another Google+ page representing the client, I could not connect it to the location I have in GMB. Or is there a way to do that?

Thanks again,

Svenia

Re: GMB API and Google+ pages

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi @Svenia V,

To create a new Google+ page, simply log into Google+ with the same credentials you use to manage your GMB Listing.  A new welcome screen will guide you through the process of creating a Google+ Page for your business.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

The Google My Business API team

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you very much for your reply.

For most pf our customers, we are only working with the GMB API. So via the API it isn't possible to create Google+ Pages?

Actually I found a something that will work for our needs, as we only want to update the photos.

Maybe someone else finds this helpful:

We now send all of the photos as additionalPhotoUrls, and it works for locations without Google+ pages.

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi @Svenia V,

No, you cannot create Google+ page via the Google My Business API. Only locations created through the Google My Business API under bulk verified accounts will each automatically generate a Google+ page.

We're glad you found a solution. Please feel free to contact us for any Google My Business API related questions.

Thanks,

Shalini, Google My Business API team

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Svenia V, thanks for sharing the workaround. So in this case your .photos object simply looks like:

"photos" : { "additionalPhotoUrls" : [ /* list of URL's */ ] }

Right?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Ashesh A

yes, for me it worked like that.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I think this should be in the documentation. We've also been looking for ways to upload pictures to the business – especially when the business is newly created and doesn't have a G+ page. We're also noticing that G+ pages are taking noticeably longer to get created.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, I agree.

But even a better error message than "Internal error encountered." (when trying to upload photos without a G+ page) would be helpful.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

And we’re also seeing errors like these:
```"message" : "The owner of this location is not verified. Photos are supported only with a Google+ page on a verified location.”```
So the workaround only works if the account holding the location is verified.
Ashesh Ambasta
Lead Backend / CentralApp